Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 Canadian Stamps and Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Canada picture postage stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31

smauggie
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
5317 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  06:22 am  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Composite stamps, what a creative idea!

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is how the concept of Personal stamps came about in Canada.

Started with the 1994 two-part Greetings scroll-shaped self-adhesive strange new idea stamps in 1994 and finally coming to the stamps we use today with the personal picture actually printed as part of the stamp itself. All one piece. No more two-part stamps.

I think, on the 1994 stamps, having CANADA (pride of homeland) emblazoned across the stamp in a scroll-like fashion (classic shape) certainly helped in the adoption of these by the public.

Self-adhesives were just coming into vogue at the time, started a few years before with the Quick-Sticks of large-sized Flag over scenes.

Today's personalized stamp's designs are a mixture of the classic, the silver ribbon framing and the more modern, with a slightly larger area for a picture, in the photo album frame.

But the subject matter is, of course, important.

From eBay.

These stamps are personal in another way also. They grab your emotions, if they are of a subject matter close to you, and if you are going to lay out the extra bit of cash it takes to make these, the subject matter is usually close to you.

They are not usually celebrating large country-wide topics or themes but smaller personal themes and are thus an important part of our country and heritage. People cared about them.

Labels, some may think, and I must admit, I have this shivery feeling on the back of my neck whenever I go through the motions of making one of these stamps. Am I not being respectful to the grand heritage of Canada stamps? But, I am being respectful. I care about people and what they care about.

Of course I am not a master artist of any shape or form. It takes at least 10,000 hours of practice to become a master at something according to studies. But, I have to start somewhere. The longest journey begins with a single step and all that. And, it's fun. Can't beat that.

From eBay, oh, I want this one so bad too.

Edited by Puzzler - 08/11/2010 9:16 pm

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When I ordered some of my stamps the CBN Co included two brochures in with the sheet of stamps. One from the outlook of businesses and one from a people perspective.

From one brochure:

The keepsake sheet of 21 stamps with a large souvenir photo, or a Full Sheet of 40 stamps, costing the same. That is, 21 or 40 stamps for the same price. Hmmm, let me think about this . . . Oh, the keepsake sheet of course. The large picture is rather nice I must admit, and makes the rarity factor for collectors that much rarer.

Each sheet is numbered along the top left margin with the number of the order, so a 'plate block' from the upper left corner would have the plate number or printing order number on it.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My avatar's printing number, on a sheet of 40 stamps, with twostamps in the row removed.

Why did I remove them? Well, I was concerned at first with getting a Mint stamp from the sheet. That is, a stamp in it's original position and not removed from the backing paper it had originally came on.

So I mailed a lot of stamps to myself. I am still not sure is this was a wise idea. However, I was also concerned about, having just read up on the topic, the adhesive 'cold flow' problem addressed by the US Archives in Washington.

This is the property of self adhesives that the glue actually, over time, seeps out from around the back of the stamp and, being still glue, adheres to whatever happens to be present. Like an album page or a Vario stock page.

This happens over a loooong time I think. I have had these stamps for 4-5 years now and no problems. But, I and others, have decided to collect these stamps as used (mostly). Another reason for this is the scarcity of these stamps. Which is a reason some are attracted to them no doubt.

I mean, I am happy as two pigs in a puddle to get a damaged used stamp of one of these. Unless it is known that there were hundreds made. Then I am a bit iffy on the damage. but heck, this must be what it was like years ago at the beginning of stamp collecting. An avid collector kept anything that came his lucky way.

spock1k
Pillar Of The Community

2663 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ahem !

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
4520 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  1:42 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hey CCool, you must have got that Jarry Park Picture Postage from me, I designed that one! Here it is larger.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

ccool
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccool to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ccool
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccool to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

HI !

BeeSee : maybe, if you buy them on eBay it's possible :) I have buy 2 !

THanks !

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
4520 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  4:51 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ccool, je voulais dire que vous avez acheté les timbres de moi! Je suis brcStamps.com !

BeeSee in BC

ccool
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccool to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bonjour,

J'avais comprit, j'ai juste melé " buy" et "sold" lol

Désolé :)

abutt1
Valued Member

United States
127 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add abutt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The car was a NASH!

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks abutt1, I had heard jokes made at the auto parts store about looking up a water pump for a Nash but never knew what the car looked like.

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6310 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A unique World War II vehicle.
An armoured snowmobile in the Canadian north.

From the Puzzler Collection.

Edited by Puzzler - 08/11/2010 9:23 pm

BeeSee
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
4520 Posts

Posted 07/18/2010  8:16 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You think dogs would be pulling that sled!

BeeSee in BC

Edited by BeeSee - 07/18/2010 8:24 pm

chequer
Valued Member

Canada
83 Posts

Posted 07/19/2010  07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's one with the Canadian Numismatic Association logo

Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05