Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 On Line Stamp Auction Discussions
 Ebay / StampWants / StampOffers / Auction Sites
Share this topic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Ebay seller - nystamps

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9732 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  10:45 am  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I look at his stuff...but I would have to pay almost 9 percent state tax on top of the shipping ..there are similar large outfits..something about bidding against dealers...when we go to a live auction they will not let me win..they bid on so many lots they do not seem to mind doubling what I bid and I suppose it evens out...but on the internet my wife bids against the Europa dealers and she has figured the percentage they will bid and sometimes skins them by going Slightly higher !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

modern_who
Pillar Of The Community

USA
2404 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  2:27 pm  Show Profile Check modern_who's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose it might be called 'mint' if one was feeling very charitable, but the BIN price looks a trifle optimistic.

Hard to be charitable with this one. It might be "mint" in the sense that it has gum (why wasn't the reverse side shown?) but it is hardly in "mint" condition.

Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6130 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Start that one at 99 cents and see where it goes. Get an idea for percentage asked for future sales of not so nice looking stamps.

stampvirgin
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4103 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  4:15 pm  Show Profile Check stampvirgin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

he is selling this on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-CSA-Confeder...em27b3a17863

I just bought these for $10.60 the .20 one looks authentic and mint..

http://stampwants-stamps.bidstart.c...87636/a.html

If I am convinced they are real I will have it expertized.

I95
Valued Member
53 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

stampvirgin,

http://stampwants-stamps.bidstart.c...87636/a.html

They are all real - Only the cancellation on the five cent is questionable at best.

The 10 cent is the Keating & Ball Printing.

Nice pick up at a good price.

revstampman
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1628 Posts

Posted 09/19/2010  11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I was looking at those and considering bidding. The "Star" cancel might be questionable. You got a nice deal

stampvirgin
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4103 Posts

Posted 09/20/2010  09:19 am  Show Profile Check stampvirgin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

yes the star cancellation is questionable, but, it just so happens that I have one of those, I don't have the others.
So I am happy with it, thanks guys for authenticating them with me.. It makes me feel better.

PNBarker
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts

Posted 09/23/2010  4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PNBarker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

NY Stamps are ok to deal with

scott_05
Valued Member
26 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott_05 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What you see is what you get, like everyone else says.

I purchased a lot from him for $600 and I found several items that were misidentified, to my benefit. For example, in my lot, there were, among others, a #85 (3 cent D Grill) and a #85C (3 cent Z Grill). Too bad for him. He's out a few thousand :)

Take his handwritten "values" and the "paid" notes with a grain of salt. I have compared the handwriting and it looks like they were all written by the same person. If you notice, he seems to list what he thinks are the "choice" items. It is these that are always marked with "Paid $1,200" for example.

Use these things to your benefit when purchasing from him. He does not have the time to go through every stamp in all of the lots he is selling. It is impossible and, because of this, you will find hidden treasure.

Edited by scott_05 - 12/08/2010 09:58 am

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9732 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  10:12 am  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As I mentioned previously..i don't deal with him because I would have to pay almost 9 percent New York State tax on top of shipping..as far as finding deals..i am pretty sure mis identification goes both ways...NYStamps handles a lot of collections...they just can not have the time to do much more than eye ball and guestimate starting bids on most collections !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853

stampvirgin
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4103 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  10:16 am  Show Profile Check stampvirgin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

philb.. the little notes they put next to each item, is written by someone in house..

they do go through every stamp.. and there are more complaints then not of mis-identifying, not shipping, and outright fraud.
when I complained to them about a lot they were selling on ebay. the guy started sending ME emails about other dealers and the cr@p they were pulling.. when NYStamps got a whole subject going on VSC, they started sending emails to deflect attention away form them.

smauggie
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
4951 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I must admit some of their lots have been attractive, but I have never quite brought myself to bid.

stallzer
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

United States
3317 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  1:29 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

They do sell some nice items, personally I would never buy from someone that sold "Slabbed Stamps" as I refuse to pay $250.00 for a Prexie in a plastic case.
That aside as large of a volume that they do, I highly doubt that you would see fakes or forgeries in their auctions, and if you look at their seller rating on Ebay they do a ton of business and have a lot of good feedback. 38,000 + transactions and a 99.9 positive feedback rating, they must be doing something right.

scott_05
Valued Member
26 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott_05 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry you were ripped off, stampvirgin.

I felt that the $600 that I paid for my lot was fair. And no, they did not go through every stamp in my lot. Otherwise, they would have pulled the #85 3c Washington D. Grill, among others.

You have to play people like this at their own game. It is physically impossible for him to do a proper identification on every stamp in every lot that he sells. Simply impossible.

At any rate, with bulk sellers like this, caveat emptor.

philb
Pillar Of The Community

USA
9732 Posts

Posted 12/08/2010  2:03 pm  Show Profile Check philb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

i have no axe to grind with any dealers..if I get a gut feeling about them I avoid them...NYStamps,Roecy,Noble are primarly businesses..they exist to make a profit to open their doors, pay their help, and make a living...they are clearing houses, they advertise in the stamp magazines to purchase collections..they add their markup or let the market decide..and there are lots of gullible people who love the "fabulous collection" ,"Bulging album" etc etc carnival come ons ! same album could be worth 40 bucks or 400 depending on whos bidding !

Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05