Stamp Community Family of Web Sites  
  United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Subscribe to Linn's Stamp News!Newly Listed Buy it Now Listings on eBay!
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Stamps and Covers Discussions
 Canadian Stamps and Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register. 

Warning from Canada Post

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XNBer
Valued Member

Canada
185 Posts

Posted 09/08/2010  03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add XNBer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Canada Post is warning people about re-using stamps.

Inside the new mental health Permanent + 10 cent booklets, issued Sept 7/10, the warning in French and English says "It is unlawful to remove and attempt to reuse postage stamps"

Not that any of us would do such a dastardly deed........I'm thinking CP would lose a lot of money on legal fees taking somebody to court on such a charge.

I would guess that good lawyer (is that a juxtaposition of terms?) would have few problems defending anybody caught not obeying this rule.

I know this topic has been mentioned here before; but, it is the first time I've seen the warning on booklets.

Send note to staff

Puzzler
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
6388 Posts

Posted 09/08/2010  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks XNBer. I noticed that on the joint Israel issue a bit earlier and someone said it had been on some definitive booklets before.

I wonder if they are getting ready to crack down more on this? As you say, it would be bard but they may just pick a few example cases to make a point. I wouldn't think it would be a good time for them to have any bad publicity though.

Send note to staff Go to Top of Page

djd
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1259 Posts

Posted 09/08/2010  09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Good morning everyone

Quote:
I wouldn't think it would be a good time for them to have any bad publicity though.

it was a few years ago when someone in the P.O. said publicly.

Quote:
"the public be damned"
or was it the Union president responding to all the criticism about the many strikes we had in the seventies and early eighties.
Doug
I think you could be right,they could make a landmark case out of one or two individuals.
David -Better hide my "Glue stick" specials.

Gaff
Valued Member

United States
304 Posts

Posted 09/08/2010  10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gaff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I had thought that they would return the letter to sender if postage was insufficient (whether from trying to reuse postage or other reasons) or that they would send through, with postage due to be collected by the recipient.

Does anyone know of any instances in postal history where fraudulent reuse has occurred on a large scale resulting in legal action?

thanks.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Stamp Community SupporterSupporter!

Israel
5838 Posts

Posted 09/09/2010  08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not that any of us would do such a dastardly deed

I do !

I will try to find the other threads explaining why I do...and why tens of thousands of others do to.

If I cannot find it, I will explain anew.

Londonbus1

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5838 Posts

Posted 09/09/2010  08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is one such 'Londonbus rant' from a recent topic.
It was probably a little out of place on that one but once I get going.....

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic...OPIC_ID=9200

laswabbie
Pillar Of The Community

USA
3315 Posts

Posted 09/09/2010  4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There's nothing better on a boring afternoon at work than a great 'classic' rant. Way to go Michael, and I agree.

Stamps get reused because the postal services are too - lazy, stupid, arrogant, incompetent - to cancel them. You may use one or more to fill in the blank.

stampgal
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
1354 Posts

Posted 09/09/2010  5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is there any way for the POs to tell if a stamp has been "postally used" if it has not been cancelled?
If not, then surely you could claim that you "stuck the stamp on the envelope but then changed my mind and so soaked it off and stuck it on another envelope with a gluestick"?
(Just working on my defence in case I ever get caught).

XNBer
Valued Member

Canada
185 Posts

Posted 09/10/2010  04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add XNBer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, somebody......and that somebody is somebody who probably hasn't read this thread, has double-thwarted me from ever re-using a stamp.

First: several dollars worth of properly canceled Canadian stamps were on a stamp-related package I received Sept 9th.

Second: many of those stamps included a good smattering of higher value denominations from the past 40 or 50 years AND THEY WERE COVERED WITH CLEAR PACKING-TAPE.

I don't mind that I can't reuse stamps that were properly canceled......that's the luck of the draw, should I ever decide to throw caution to the wind and risk prosecution, prison and/or punishment.

But, there were a few nice ones on the package that have a CV of more than the usual 20 cents each IF THEY HAD NOT BEEN COVERED WITH CLEAR TAPE.

Imagine my tears of frustration.

I'm afraid I know the answer to the following question........but, on the off-chance I've missed another world-shattering scientific discovery, has anybody come up with a way of cleanly removing the aforementioned clear (Scotch) tape from the face of stamps?

Yes, I realize this topic possibly should be under another heading; but, I just want to throw it out there while I'm in a ranting mood.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community

Israel
5838 Posts

Posted 09/10/2010  04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AND THEY WERE COVERED WITH CLEAR PACKING-TAPE.

Disgraceful !

They were probably too lazy to use a gluestick so they used Cellotape instead.

As for soaking it off, it's a bit hit and miss and some damage will occur. There are threads here, will have to check, but lighter fuel will get it off sometimes and so will White Spirit and Vodka [not together]. But they are all hit and miss.

Try searching for the other threads on this topic.

Londonbus1

modern_who
Pillar Of The Community

USA
2420 Posts

Posted 09/10/2010  9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would guess that good lawyer (is that a juxtaposition of terms?) would have few problems defending anybody caught not obeying this rule.

Just wondering, how so?

Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay

XNBer
Valued Member

Canada
185 Posts

Posted 09/12/2010  8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add XNBer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think it would be a real chore for the Post Office to prove somebody reused a stamp.

It probably would require testimony from somebody who actually saw the act occur.

Then, there's the problem of proving intent etc......all too much for the expense involved.

But, if CP wanted to make an example of somebody for whatever reason, it could happen.

And, if you are questioning whether "good lawyer" is a juxtaposition of terms.......I won't go there.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2011 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05