In the south-west France, where flows a small river Lot, there is a town Cahor. The main attraction of the town is the famous bridge over the river Lot.
Above this small river fortified bridge spanned the Valentre - with three towers, one of which is in the middle of the bridge, and two - on the shores. This is one of the masterpieces of medieval military architecture.
The decision to build this bridge was made in 1306 by the City Council, and the first stone was laid in 1308. Travel from coast to coast - only through the three gates under the towers. Many windows, through which you can, shoot bows and crossbows, pour boiling water on unwanted visitors.
The history of the bridge is connected naive legend: an architect, frustrated by the slowness of construction, has signed an agreement with the devil that, if the devil just to fulfill all its requirements, it will receive the soul of architect.
All necessary materials immediately appeared on the shore. Construction went very quickly, but the architect asked him to bring him water in a sieve. The devil could not fulfill this request and soul of the architect has not received. Nevertheless, he took revenge: the upper part of one of the towers collapsed, and the tower was unable to build properly.
The bridge was renovated in 1879 Viollet le Duc apprentice architect Paul Gu (Paul Gout) and he, remembering the old legend, placed on one of the towers, a small figurine of the devil.
After the restoration of the bridge became a legend somewhat different view: When the bridge was completed and the architect had left that last stone in the masonry of the bridge (near the top middle of the tower) was broken out and carried away the devil. I had to cut down a new stone and lay the damaged area, but again the next morning the stone was not there. Twenty times rebuilt stone, and twenty times in the morning found a hole in the tower, which is nicknamed the Devil's Tower.
Finally sent back to the architect. He listened, smiled and said, "Well, impure, you have not learned anything." He sent messengers to the monastery of the Templars, which was kept a stone brought from the Holy Land by the Crusaders. This stone was part of a well from which the Samaritan woman gave Jesus a drink. This stone was taken from the monastery and put him into the wall.
The next night, Satan came to the bridge again and tried to knock spell stone masonry. But the stone did not move. Then he drove his claws into the rock. But he could not move the stone and was unable to wrest from his hands. At dawn he surrendered, reduced in size and stopped and turned to stone.
Once again, the famous bridge to appear on a postage stamp Andorra, released in honor of the first meeting of the co-rulers of the feudal state August 25, 1973 in Cahors.
Co-rulers of Andorra have met only twice in the seven centuries that have passed the Act on Mutual Recognition of Rights in 1278 the famous bridge again appeared on the brand of France in 2008.
Speaking of the architectural features of Kaors bridge - three defensive towers must say that the castles and palaces in the Middle Ages were in front of obstacles such as lifting or collapsible bridges, and bridges were supplied in the form of fortified gates and towers. Towers on the bridges can be seen on the stamps of many countries, including the Charles Bridge in Prague.
And again, in Cahors grows a special variety of grape from which wine do. In Russia, the French town and the wine is called "Cagors" - a favorite in Russia sacramental wine for communion.