Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dear Canada, I Know Where Your Stamps Are...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,015Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear Canada I apologize I was unaware I was hording your stamps until today please send the return address's for these letters...

Good grief guys! What Am I suppose to do with these??? I opened what I thought were mixed bags of stamps to find hundreds of these...

I'm I going to have to get artistically creative?

I was thinking I might send a few hundred to Australia for fun!
duck and cover ROD!!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I opened what I thought were mixed bags of stamps to find hundreds of these...

You have discovered that different people have different definitions. That is why it is important not just to know the supposed "formal" definition, but also how the seller or your fellow collectors in your circle use the terminology.

Obvious, when this seller says "mixed bag of stamps", what they mean is they mixed into that bag several hundred copies of that stamp.

We learn the hard way who sells a poor mix and who sells a good mix. If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure I have several hundred copies of that stamp. In fact, I probably have several hundred copies of most of the 1c-5c denominations in that set!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
duck and cover ROD!

Nooooooooooo! They're yours now Edwin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin, If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting these
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin
I do not think that you will find any good cancel,however you should check.
Attached is an example of a "Blackout cancel" these are quite scarce.

plus look for perfins and precancels.
I have copies of the above if you need scans.
David
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
djd

Stupid question, which part of the cancel is the "Blackout" one? Or it is the hole thing?

I have several hundreds of copies of several hundreds stamps, the downside of my obsession with kilo-ware, tons of those are from Canada. Anybody need hundred copies?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thick ring around the circular date stamp, where you would normally find the city and province, is blacked out. This was done during World War II so that mail dispatched from port cities couldn't be identified in the event of a ship's sinking.

More-specific information will follow, I'm sure.

I'd be interested in poking through stamps like these, looking for interesting cancels, but I couldn't pay much for the privilege...it is a bit ancillary to my normal areas of interest.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampvirgin, actually they were part of the collection I inherited, I did not buy them and no one cheated me in any way with a discription. I just assumed they were mixed because the other countries were mixed lost that I've completed so far. (btw, I'm working on your taped stamps they are soaking off quite well most are salvagable and will make a nice page fillers, thanks)

I was just laughing at the amount of duplicates and wanted to make a funny post to ease my disappointment.

DJD, I will look for that blackout, I saw the other half of that cancel "save your scrap..."
see I make a joke and I learn something important about cancels! I must learn 5 things a day here...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did not buy them and no one cheated me in any way with a discription.

I didn't say that.. Kim did..

hell of a collection. sorry in the way you got it.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are also nude oops, mute Black-out cancels with the town / place name missing entirely.

Edited by Puzzler - 01/20/2011 10:34 am
Valued Member
Canada
447 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Minesweeper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well of course you've got hundreds of them...There was 3 149 000 000 (that's billions not millions) printed out. It's one of the highest printed Canadian stamp ever.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3.1 Billion!! we should gather them ALL up and send them to Rod on December 31st
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did not buy them and no one cheated me in any way with a description.

My bad. I had thought that you were talking about a dealer's mix.

k
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the way I said it was vague and misleading

you would think with 3.1 BILLION I would have mint ones, but NOooooo....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/29/2010   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the way I said it was vague and misleading

You really weren't. I just jumped the gun. I may have replied to somebody else's question regarding stamp mixes before jumping back to SCF and reading your post, so I mixed myself up. Thank you for providing an excuse for me, though .

Quote:
you would think with 3.1 BILLION I would have mint ones, but NOooooo....

But if you had mint stamps, then you'd have to worry about how much difference the gum would make... oh wait, that's another thread also...

k
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 09/29/2010   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and send them to Rod on December 31st

When the parcel card arrives in my PO Box,
I'll advise "not known at thsi address"
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 3,015Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05