Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada "G" Print

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,655Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
on DJD's suggestion I went back thru my stamps and Found this on the lady's a "G" first glance I thought it was part of a cancel, but now I don't think so...

Send note to Staff
Edited by Edwin - 09/28/2010 3:47 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find these in your Scott catalogue in the Officials section ("back of the book"). They are the bilingual equivalent to the OHMS overprint stamps.

Ryan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also found a few fun "tread cancels" with #'s and I threw in a flag for fun.

and quite a few city names which I guess I'll keep for now, in a baggie

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What does it mean in the other lingual?
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lastly I dont think this is a blackout but I figured I'd check?

just looks like a very messy cancel.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does it mean in the other lingual?

"G" = government / gouvernement.

Ryan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doh!

So if it had a "G" it was used for government mail in Quebec?

Edit - Clarification

I mean, was the G used exlusively in Quebec? Or throughout Canada?
Edited by smauggie - 09/28/2010 5:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
531 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moonbird to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. Canada is a bilingual country.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I mean, was the G used exlusively in Quebec? Or throughout Canada?

In 1923, stamps perforated "OHMS" began to be used. In 1949, the OHMS perforations were replaced by "O.H.M.S." overprints, which were used for a year before being replaced by "G" overprints in 1950. These were used until the end of 1963.

Ryan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin, you found her "G" spot. (sorry I couldn't resist)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin
Cancels are fun:
first one is duplex cancel
Second is a roller cancel
Third one a flag cancel
Keep going, enjoy.
David-DJD
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin

Quote:
just looks like a very messy cancel.

ya think!
A double over inked four ring cancel
David -DJD
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edwin, you found her "G" spot.
Edited by timbres667 - 09/28/2010 6:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ya know with all the Canadians on here, it really makes me miss Canada. I really need to go up there to see my family.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampvirgin

Quote:
I really need to go up there to see my family.

what part of Canada?
David-DJD
Edited by djd - 09/28/2010 8:21 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not too much up on the G's on Canada stamps, but those two EiiR (Elizabeth II Regina = Reigning Monarch Queen Elizabeth II) or QEII's look different, one thicker than the other.

In my catalogue there are 4 different types of G's ueed in different years but the same one of the QEII Wilding portrait's issues. maybe I need a new catalogue (2005).

I like the cancels, as David stated. I hadn't seen a numeral duplex on a WWII stamp like that before.

Some people collect the 2-ringed cancels and also the 4-ringed ones. Some the flag cancels, although more on cover where you can see the whole thing. Roller cancels and another specialty, hard to get a good one on a small stamp also. Has the name of the town / city, the street maybe and a number above and below (same) standing for the roller number, pr clerk number (I think).

I lie the shade on the Small Queen issue stamp. Rose or light red kind of. Nice.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,655Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05