Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

ID Stamps Need Help With Japan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,805Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add slhoffman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am stumped with this stamp. It appears to be Japan, but I can't locate it in Scott's. Please help, and thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Stamp Community Forum, slhoffman.

It's not a postage stamp. Most likely a Japanese revenue. While we wait for the others to chime in, I'll email Dave, who knows quite a bit about Japanese revenues.

Kim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A 1909 series of revenue stamps issued both perfed and imperf for affixing onto hotel registration forms.
The values shown in the picture in columns A (perfed) and B (imperf) are in 1915 French francs.
The overprint, I believe, is the cancellation.
Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a scan of a similar stamp (I don't think I own the stamp) that is named "Japan revenue 1888 series." Whether the file name is accurate, I cannot say. My scan doesn't have the heavy overprint, but it has a similar red cancel or control mark (or whatever it is).

The Forbin excerpt looks like it has an additional overprint?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, very nice Tony!

No wonder Dave can't get his post numbers up!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
807 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Kim, for the heads-up on this! And I think everyone already has this covered, so good job!

It is a Japanese revenue, a registration tax stamp. (I didn't know about the hotel registration, Tony, so thanks for that!)

Unfortunately, I'm about 3000 miles from my reference books right now, but there's a great website that someone in Denmark, bless him, pulled together, which is probably the best identification site on the web for Japanese revenues:

http://www.ssjp.dk/rev/eng/rev/registreringe.html

Here's the top page for the English portion: http://www.ssjp.dk/rev/eng/rev/overviewrev.html

Those extra characters on the Forbin illustration indicate "specimen".

And that black cancel is indeed a cancel. The left-most column are the characters for "cancelled". The right-most column probably explains the type, but I'm afraid I don't know those characters.

Thanks, everyone! (And thanks, Kim! Eventually I'll get my posting numbers up!)

-- Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
807 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one tip: it's hard to see on this example from the original poster, but if you can spot that chrysanthemum symbol, I would say in virtually every case, that means it's a Japanese stamp. Kind of like their brand logo, at the time.

Kim: I should've split that into several posts! Eventually, I'll get savvy about this. ... Well, maybe not.

-- Dave
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if Forbin has correctly identified the purpose of this stamp.

There seem to be three characters on the right of the cancellation. The middle character unfortunately is almost completely illegible, but taken together with the first and third characters, probably reads 'Court' (as in justice system), The two characters at left do indeed read 'cancellation stamp', as Dave pointed out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reminder about the ssjp site...my scan does, in fact, match the 1888 series, but I'll forget that by the time I need to remember it next time.
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tony.
I guess I better add that the "hotel" part of my post was not out of Forbin but out of a private note I received from a Brazilian friend who used to collect "everything Japan".
The note was sent to me in 2004 and in part says: ..... estes selos foram emitidos para uso em formulários de registro do hotel, e estavam em uso entre 1909 e 1922. (These stamps were issued for use on hotel registration forms and were in use between 1909 and 1922.)
Personally, I have no idea how accurate this is; I can only say that other information my ex-contact gave me over the years proved to be relatively reliable.
On the other hand, 'registration' in the sense of submission of documents to a court as your translation indicates does indeed make a lot of sense.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony, I always struggle with the archaic forms of the characters they insisted on using on stamps in those days, but I think I can make out the characters for 'Registration Stamp' beneath the central oval.

Unfortunately, 'Registration' here is a very broad term. It could indeed mean 'hotel registration' or equally 'registration of documents', or 'registration' in just about any other sense. (In modern Japanese, it's often used to mean loading into computer memory )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
807 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony Mac: You are ubiquitous! And thank goodness for that! You were the person I was thinking of who might be able to answer the question about the cancel. If only my telepathy would work in other areas of my life!

The go-to reference catalog for Japanese revenues is called "Shimomura", after the author. (The actual title is: "Standard Catalogue of the Japanese Revenue Stamps".) Usually, only earlier versions are floating about, but there is a 2003 edition. (I had the good fortune to be able to purchase it directly from the author when this edition first came out.) Anyway, probably any edition might have a few sentences in Japanese about the purpose of these stamps.

I'm still several weeks away from being back at home, but once I am, I could scan in that section and ask Tony to see if he can determine what kind of registration these stamps fulfilled. But if someone has access to any edition, you could probably get an answer before I make it back cross-country.

-- Dave
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave - or anyone else who can scan the relevant section of Shimomura - I'll be happy to help. I'm growing curious, myself, now!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Barefoot revenue catalogue these were for the tax on legal registration of property (land, businesses, ships etc.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
807 Posts
Posted 09/30/2010   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Nigel! Great to see you here, too! I totally forgot about Barefoot (which I don't have for Japan). Thanks! (Later on, we can check Shimomura against that.)
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,805Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05