Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed To ID This Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,297Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Tinus_NL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm completely at a loss with this. There's literally not a single thing on this stamp that can help me.
Can't find it under Persia or the Ottoman Empire, and honestly don't have a clue where to search next. Early Egypt? Some other Arabian state?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nejd? aka saudi arabia?

a guess I have something similar on the edge of a page there...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nejd? aka saudi arabia?

Very close! It's from Hejaz from 1917.
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're on to something there. Don't have a catalogue that has Nejd, Hejaz or Saudi Arabia in it, but a quick Google search on Nejd stamps gave me some images that look a lot like my stamp. Worth checking out. Thanks Edwin.

Martin

Edit: and thanks to Nigel for confirming...
Edited by Tinus_NL - 10/07/2010 4:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, you made me feel bad since you said no catalog so I looked it up,

scan to follow watch for edit

Listed under (HEJAZ) in Saudi Arabia, the book is darker my scan was not that good.

Edited by Edwin - 10/07/2010 4:34 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if memory serves, Lawrence of Arabia was involved with the production of these stamps.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 10/08/2010   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your memory is correct as usual Tony:

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/5626

Very interesting!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/08/2010   04:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ronald Storrs, who was later Military Governor of Jerusalem, was deeply involved with these stamps. In his autobiography Orientations he makes a few references to Lawrence and the stamps. Unfortunately, his index only lists names, not subjects, so it's hard to track down the full story, but here are a couple of bits:

"... I must confess, almost with shame, that my sentiments in applying for him (Lawrence) were mainly gratitude for his assistance in the Hejaz stamp issue and in other matters, the high value I attached to his judgment on any question, and his admirable company. ..."

and from Storrs' journal for the 15.x.16 "... Prepared an informatory and propagandist list for distribution from Jeddah of new Hejaz stamp issue. ..."

Storrs was later Governor of Cyprus at the time of the 1928 50th Anniversary of British Rule set, and was heavily involved in the design of the stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,297Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05