Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian States (Bundi?)id Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revstampman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just refound this in one of my old(1920's) Albums. I know I have seen this stamp on the forum recently. But, I can't remember where.

ID and Approximate Value would be helpful. I think it's Bundi.

Thanks!

Send note to Staff
Edited by revstampman - 10/17/2010 5:05 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're quite right Revstampman: it is from Bundi.

The short answer to its ID is that it's an SG 54, Type E tablet, ¼ Anna deep slate - catalogued at £18 in the latest Gibbons.

The longer answer is that it's a cliché C, probably from setting 28, but possibly Setting 30 or 34 (of 58 settings identified so far ...).

These 'Sacred Cows' as they're known from the design (referring to an incident, centuries before, when a Hindu ruler of Bundi protected sacred cows from a Muslim Emperor in Delhi) are one of the most popular subjects for collectors among the Indian States because of their longevity (1914-1941) and complexity (14 denominations, all those settings, and with three different types of government use overprint, in various colours and positions ...)

It's a great shame it has that bite out of the top margin. Still, a nice talking point!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting half-hexagon shape to the bitten upper part also.

Any significance to that? A collector's mark or something? Official punch-out perhaps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I just got hungry while I was sorting. It was lunch time after all.
Edited by revstampman - 10/17/2010 8:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tony, Thanks for the awesome answer!

Might you, or anyone else be interested in it?
Edited by revstampman - 10/17/2010 8:46 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have hexagonal teeth! I must have one, properly cancelled of course. Probably can't afford it though.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revstampman, sorry: I might have been interested if it hadn't had the bite out of the top. You could put it up on eBay, though, and I think you'd get (ahem!) the odd nibble.

Puzzler, this is quite a common problem with these stamps. I think it's probably due to the rouletting not always properly cutting the paper. The result being tears like this. That's why it's safest to collect them in complete sheets, like this:

(The 2 Rupee, SG 46, from Setting 40. Cliché C (as in Revstampman's copy) is in position 4 in the sheet here, and has collected a few more bangs and scratches in the meantime.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 10/17/2010   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The damage is not surprising. The rouletting on this most certainly falls into the category of not fully penetrating the paper.
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dear rev,

just so that you dont feel bad after nibbling on a nice stamp

bundi is also a very tasty sweet dish in India :)

bon appetite
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh I forgot there is no need to burden poor tony with more indian states send all your offers of indian states to uncle spock :)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   04:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to disappoint you, Spock, but most of the Sacred Cows were issued without gum ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1694 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but most of the Sacred Cows were issued without gum ...

This is also MNGAI(Mint No Gum As Issued).
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it was only the very last of the Sacred Cows (from 1939-41), perforated rather than rouletted, that came with gum. None of the rouletted Sacred Cows were issued with gum.
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 10/18/2010   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well as long as they are sent as issued I will make the supreme sacrifice. it looks like you ar eloaded on the sacred cows so send a few here :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05