Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Perkins Stamp Cover Collection

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 10/20/2010   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I haven't said so, those ARE some gorgeous covers.
I haven't been collecting stamps long, but I am fast
discovering that covers are my favorites. The way I
see it is that mint stamps are nice, but used stamps
have all the character, AND used stamps off the envelope
they were tied to by cancel have lost 90% of their history
by being untied. Make sense? A stamp is MEANT to be used,
and once married to a cover, it should never be divorced.

I think a lot of collectors must feel the same, because
a stamp on cover seems to always bring more than the exact
same stamp off cover. Makes them harder to identify, but
darn, who cares what water mark it had.... ???

I wish I had the dough. I am not so much into stampless,
but those stamped covers would look great in my collection!

GOOD LUCK!
LET US KNOW>>>
GIVE US PICS IF IT DOESN'T CONSUME TOO MUCH OF YOUR TIME.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
642 Posts
Posted 10/20/2010   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll poke through those later tonight, but it appears that you have some better items there. I do collect classic era covers, specifially 1861 issue foreign destination covers.

I have a virus to fight on my other PC at the moment, but you have some value there from the looks of it. As far as catalog value goes, it's effectively meaningless with covers of that era, it really only applies to nice examples of very common usages... I.E. a Red Lilac 24c 61 cats on cover for something like $350 or so. That's for a nice one on cover to England. I saw one on cover yesterday with a 12c break $20,000 (It was to Burma...)

OTOH, typical examples to England are worth $100 or so.

Bill
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/21/2010   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight I looked through three more small boxes and one large one that was VERY dirty. I found some interesting signed documents. The most interesting were a letter signed by James Buchanan when he was in the State Department and a card signed by William McKinley in a White House envelope.

There is a letter from Bing Crosby from 1934 as well.

I found a small group of Hetty Green documents including one very clear signature on a promissory note.

I also located about a dozen bills of sale for Whaling Ships including TWO for fractional interests in the Charles W. Morgan which is now a museum ship at Mystic, Conn. These have tall revenue stamps on them.

I have perhaps 300 Bank Checks with stamps on them. Some were cancelled with an embossed seal giving the name of the bank stating PAID. But I really like the wood cuts - many are of ships. There are perhaps 4,000 stock certificates with stamps as well. Many show War ships from the WWI era.

There are also 20 or so picture postcards from Europe sent Soldier Mail from the A.E.F in France during WWI. One mentions the Armistice in the present tense. I found a second ships letter from 1821 but this one is in worse shape than the first.

I located numerous post cards but most are NOT picture post cards. There are some nice picture post cards - one of a woman on horseback shooting a rifle. No caption but it looks like Annie Oakley to me. There are also early Holiday Postcards - 2 Christmas and one Easter.

I found a few more Ship letters and some early pre-civil war letters from Nantucket one with a super clear postmark.

I will take more pictures when I get time.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
642 Posts
Posted 10/21/2010   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I'd be in touch with Siegel Auctions or Richard Frajola.

On covers a very slight nuance can make them hugely valuable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/21/2010   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing, this just gets better and better.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/21/2010   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to chime in and say what wonderful material has been shown, most of which I could only dream of.

I did a quick internet search on Mr. Perkins and came upon a very nice obituary that included the statement that he "was an avid collector of everything". As he was apparently also a past director of a Whaling Museum, etc., I can only surmise that he would have had a discerning eye for only the best material that he would have kept for his personal collection.

I agree the major auction houses are probably the way to go in order to net the best return for such classic material.

Thanks for sharing.
Edited by wt1 - 10/21/2010 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
642 Posts
Posted 10/21/2010   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good return? I was at the Ray Vogel sale on Tuesday at Siegel's in New York... what some of those covers brought was downright stunning. Of course, the lots were also stunning. I only got 2 covers out of about 5 or 6 that I really thought I could win. :(
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 10/22/2010   04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamperbob er.. Swamperbob, I'm no expert in these things and covers don't do it for me at all, but I just wanted to welcome you to the SCF. Good to see you here. I hope you stick around. I haven't been over to CCF for a while. I guess I should go have a look around.

Steve
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been working my way through the Covers in the collection - and I think I have found two with potential interest for Australian citizens. Two covers were mailed from Queensland on the Ship Australasia which was a Convict Ship for female prisoners.

A third letter was mailed on the Ship Cuba (I have not located that ship yet) and another letter merely says via Queenstown. These last two were mailed much later (1867) and have stamps.

PS - The Ship Cuba made a run to Australia with Irish Settlers and returned via New York city - the date listed is 1868 but a PO mark of Nov 1867 may be right for a point during the voyage (like embarkation?).

Edited by swamperbob - 10/26/2010 10:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
are you offering these up for sale?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
are those 2d blues the SG 45?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
or SG20?
found a set on eBay.. for 45.00 pounds but yours are in much better shape.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampvirgin The question of are they for sale is YES. But to satisfy the requirements of the estate I must itemize all of the material and then get "competitive" prices.

The other questions I have not got a clue. I presume they refer to grades but I am not a stamp grader.

billw2 Thank you for the link. I will join up when I get to the complete identification stage. So far I am dividing the material by type and I am placing each item in a secure holder so that handling will not damage them any further. Most o these have been knocking about loose in in one of many shoeboxes for years.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
swamp.. the other questions were referring to what catalog # they were in the Stanley Gibbons catalog.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I do not have that catalog. BUT, I know that there were dozens of stamp catalogs and reference books in the Library which are still packed. Some were for European stamps. I am only just finishing the first 36 boxes of material - there are 105 more in storage that I have not yet touched. So I may find the reference.

I am making a count of raw items for the inventory. The materials I have here (or in some cases had here) are now in binders sorted by the type of items they are. The categories in my first sort are as follows:

Stamp Related (only):

1. Loose stamps and Books of stamps
a. New
1) Plate number blocks
2) Books of stamps
b. Used

2. Covers (no envelopes)
a. No Postal Cancellation - written only
1) Ship mail
2) Express mail - Private Carrier Service (only 1 so far)
3) Undetermined presumed US with numbers in ink
b. Postal cancellations (ink stamps)
c. Stamped covers

3. Envelopes
a. No stamps written only
1) Ship mail
2) Registered
b. With stamps
1) Ship mail
2) Registered
3) Special Delivery
c. Envelopes with Pictures or advertising
1) No Stamps
2) With Stamps

4. Bank Checks with Stamps

5. Promissory Notes with Stamps

6. Transfer Notes with Stamps

7. Receipts with Stamps

8. Bonds with Stamps

9. Stock Certificates with Stamps

10. Real estate documents with stamps

11. Registered Vessel Bills of Sale with stamps

12. Post Cards
a. Illustrated embossed drawings
1) Holiday cards
2) Other subjects
b. Picture Postcards
1) Soldier mail WWI
2) US
3) Foreign

13. Autographed documents with or without stamps

14. Misc. Documents with Stamps

15. All other non-stamped documents (filed by type)

Do these categories make sense or will the value of the stamp or autograph trump the value of the letter or document? Is there a rough way to distinguish which element governs value?

The autographs of famous or notable folks category is small so far - only 12 or so but I do have 4 presidential signatures one on an official looking Shipping Document while Andrew Johnson was president. It is witnessed by the Secretary of State William Seward (the guy who bought Alaska) and the text is trilingual. I have two JFK's (as a Senator), James Buchanan (as Secretary of State) and William McKinley (1900). As well I have Bing Crosby, Eddie Cantor and the Witch of Wall Street herself - Hetty Green. That is why I think any stamps that go along with autographs will not add a lot of value.

I was thinking of making a distinct category for Shipping Related Items because there are quite a few and possibly for Whale ship items as a subset. But these would also cross many other boundary lines. I have a significant number of shipping and Whaling items without stamps, so I wondered which category would be superior as far as collectors go?

As I was writing this list a couple other questions came to mind.

1. Regarding plate block numbers on US 1 Cent stamps - how many sheets used the IDENTICAL Plate number? I always thought that the number changed each time a sheet was printed. But I guess I am wrong because I have 5 plate blocks (each with the identical number in the lower right hand corner). There are two groups of 5 with consecutive numbers 25032 and 25033. Most people are saying that plate number blocks are worthless and I should just use the postage. But are these of any value since I have 5 of each number?

2. I have two cardboard books (green covers 72x50mm) of 2 Cent Canadian Stamps (green stamps) with George V on them. His portrait faces to the left. There are 12 stamps in each booklet with sheets of thin paper to separate them. The Canadian crest is printed on the face of each book. I presume such books must be scarce by now (he died in 1936 as I recall) but are they a priced collectible in any reference. Can anyone guess as to value? The other book of stamps are 6 cent US with Eisenhower's picture on them. I would guess those stamps are not worth much.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05