Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Perkins Stamp Cover Collection

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before I return to New England to retrieve the balance of the Perkins collection I thought I would post a few pictures of some of the Post Cards to see if I am missing anything and to make sure I did them correctly.

The first is a pair of the UX1 PC1 cards - these have the Large Watermark

The second is a pair of the UX3 PC1 cards - these have the small watermark which is VERY hard to see.

The next two are UX5 PC2 Black Liberty Cards with the legend that begins "Write address....."

These next ones are UX7 PC2 say "Nothing but ...."

These two are UX8 PC4 which are Brown Jeffersons - with the new style Post Mark with straight lines

These are UX9 PC5 Black Jefferson's with the Picture in the center of the card. The top one is VERY dark compared to all the others.

Finally the two Blue Grant cards which I like best of all the cards.

This is only 14 of the collection but they are fairly typical of the rest.

I noticed in Scott's catalog that colored postmarks on early stamps can carry a premium - does the same apply to any of the early cards. I have ONE card with a Green postmark.

Here is the card at the top.

Here is a blow up of the Post Mark.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell from the scan, but the last item with teh Taunton, Mass. postmark ... is that postmark green in color? Just be aware that the colored postmarks often command a higher value than the standard black ones.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1 In person the stamp clearly looks Green just like one I found on a Stampless cover from South Framingham. In the photo it looks blue green.

The card does not seem damaged.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just was re-checking and found I had never posted the Holmes Hole letter. Well here it is:

I enlarged just the stamp to see if my attribution is correct. These stamps are hard to check.

That stamp is a type II with the inner line, it is NOT perforated and the frames do not connect. I think it is an 10A A10 and on the cover is a $210 catalog type.

There are many covers with similar but not identical stamps - here is a darker brown version with perforations and only one line from Nantucket. I think the stamp is a 26A A21a perforated.

Here is just the stamp rotated to stand upright.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 11/09/2010   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the UX5.. hold up to a very bright light, you can see the watermark then... if it has a watermark it's the $400.00 version if not it's the .40 cent version

same with the first two.

the imperforate stamp.... 10a type II, I read in the catalog that with it being on cover, if it is on cover and with in the circular rate the price jumps up to 1000.00 of course there is a deduct for the pen cancel but I have no idea how one would rate it.

the one you think is a 26a, I believe is a 26, depending on color varies the price form 10.50 to thousands.

btw... don't forget us when it's time to sell.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been some time since I posted on this collection.

The second trip went very well and I am well into sorting the balance of the collection. There are several thousand covers. But in this group I finally found the albums. George did keep his best material in albums and notebooks. There are 14 albums so far.

There are 86 covers in one looseleaf notebook that are very interesting - mostly illustrated envelopes and some early covers with very oddly shaped and colored cancels. He also kept many of his oddities in that notebook. There are three covers stamped STEAM BOAT.

I also found a few more Express envelopes and an entire box of correspondence from the case of the "Cape Horn Pigeon". One letter was posted at the US Embassy in St.Petersburg and has a Diplomatic Seal.

There are 47 Boxes of Auction Catalogs. These are mostly low value in my opinion, but he sorted them by auction house and date so they do make a great reference library.

I found one more box of reference books which includes books on postmarks and a few on Colonial coins.

The stamped covers fill 6 Banana boxes. I started sorting the stamped covers by stamp type. I presume that is best. I figure the second sort will be by postmark type. I did sort out all the odd stamped comments like "Return to writer" and Postal notations regarding delivery. I also separated Special Delivery, Registered and Foreign letters. I separated out a group of stamped papers. I had never seen one of these. Each sheet of paper comes pre-stamped and it folds into a letter.

I also sorted out all of the Commemorative stamps on covers. He had an entire shoebox full of those.

One of the serious problems with this collection was that it was poorly stored after George's death. He had placed most of the covers in shoe boxes, His widow had no interest so much of it ended up in bigger boxes kept in the attic. There is rodent, heat and water damage as a result. But a surprising number are in decent shape. The covers were originally banded together with rubber bands that had dried and became brittle. But the intact boxes were so tightly packed that the envelopes were not bad near the center. Others had broken open and the envelopes were bent and torn.

When I get time I will take more pictures.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You continue to provide fascinating information on this collection. A couple of things I would point out from your latest post:

Quote:
some early covers with very oddly shaped and colored cancels. He also kept many of his oddities in that notebook. There are three covers stamped STEAM BOAT.

Be aware that depending on the stamp issue and date, the "STEAM BOAT" cancels command a premium from $25 to $150 or more over the value of the stamp and/or cover with a standard cancel. Similar premiums are often attached to "colored cancels", as well.

Quote:
I did sort out all the odd stamped comments like "Return to writer" and Postal notations regarding delivery. I also separated Special Delivery, Registered and Foreign letters.

Don't discount the "postal notation" material. Some of these covers can go for more than you may think, as the notations are considerably rarer than the ones without, especially on the earlier covers.

I'm sure all of us on SCF will look forward to your posting photos of some of this material as your time will allow.

Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I found a box of largely foreign covers. They tend to be later in time than the US covers - mostly 1890s until WWII (so far only one Nazi era stamp) but they are interesting looking. I actually enjoyed the change. I have identified about 600 so far. I put 200 into archival pages. I plan to separate them by country and then by date within each country.

I also put all of the Commemorative covers in sheet protectors. There were 260 of those so far. They range in date from 1893 to about 1960. I presume commemorative stamps on original covers are worth more than the stamps alone. I plan to arrange this book by stamp type.

I also sorted out 6 shoe boxes full of mostly pre-stamped envelopes. These have cancellations from nearly every state. At one point they must have been arranged alphabetically by state and town name, but they were randomly packed as discovered. Looks like they were hastily repacked by handfuls. You go through 40 or 50 that are alphabetical in one area then hit another group of 50 or so from another area entirely. I plan to attempt to reassemble this group alphabetically.

As I go through boxes, I have been removing various easily identified subtypes. For example, I have a book devoted to the "Mourning " envelopes the ones with the Black borders. So far I have 50 or so including one from England dated near 1900. Only two had the letters in them but the stationary also had a black border. I have a book for picture Post Cards. Another book for Special Delivery envelopes and Registered Mail. A book for Ship mail and multiple books for stamped covers and stampless covers. So far only 86 new folded letter covers have been mixed into the boxes of envelopes and stamps.

I also found a set of three possibly home made stamp books in which George mounted what may be his primary collection of individual US stamps. There is a Book devoted to Variations which is very complex. A book only partially completed on "Special Stamps" - revenue, postage due etc. But it is the third one that is impressive to me. It is the set of Regular issues beginning 1851 and going up to 1945. On page one Titled "Regular Issues 1851-1857", he has one blue 3 Cent Franklin A9 labeled Type IV. Then there are three 3 cent George Washington A10 stamps labeled Dull Red, Orange Brown and Claret. The third row has a ten cent Washington A12 stamp labeled type II and a twelve cent Washington A16 stamp with no label. These are all imperforates. If the prices in Scotts catalog are anywhere near correct (and if I am on the right page anyway) that one page is worth a few hundred dollars.

After page 1 is a section called 1851 US 3 cent. It contains on a separate page with a "Gash on Shoulder variety" with a hand made drawing of the defect enlarged several times in size. Then there is a page of typed text about Cancellations. The next page has a stampless cover with a cancellation and two stamped covers with paid cancels. The next page has three stamps not on covers with PAID cancels on each stamp. Then there is a page with 2 year dated cancels from 1856 and 1857. I have not before seen covers that early with year dated cancels.

The next section is a page titled Regular issues 1857 - 1861 with two stamps a 3 cent Washington A10 perforated and a Ten cent Washington called Type V.

Anyway you get the picture. Each section is divided by issue dates. None have the Scott numbers I am doing my best to add them.

I stopped looking at the contents shortly after I realized that there are stamps falling off the pages. I am concerned about what to do with these books. Many hours went into putting them together but now they are very fragile and it is obvious that they have been improperly handled and stored badly for years. One book has a water damaged cover. This is part of the group that was headed for the dumpster. On one page of the Varieties book some newer plate number blocks have glued themselves onto a page over several varieties of the 1861-62 3 cent Washington. I do not dare peel these off.

Each page is separated from its neighbor with a very thin sheet of semi-transparent paper made to protect the stamps. The outer bindings are mostly intact and most pages are intact. But the stamp hinges didn't like the moist environment they were subjected to. At the back of one book are loose plate blocks and unused stamps of the kind from WWII. These are in pocket sheets and seem to have the glue intact. The few I checked were not glued to the book. There are literally hundreds perhaps thousands of stamp types in these books. The collection may not be complete but it is certainly impressive even if the stamps are falling off the pages. I stopped looking at the books for fear I could hurt or lose stamps. The boxes contain tens of thousands of loose stamps so if any have fallen out of the books I may still have them. The instructions to the picl up crew was take EVERYTHING so hopefully nothing is lost.

I presume these books should remain intact for sale. But they may need "conserving" on a scale I can not provide. These were the first of his "Stamp" books I have opened to examine out of the 15 or so that were in a separate box. It was a big surprise. They do not look like anything from the covers. Looks kind of like 3 Photo albums or some kid's scrap books. Some of the other stamp books from this box have terribly damaged covers and I have not ventured into them at all yet. They must have been on top as they were originally stored.

I am up to nearly 300 hours of cataloging effort and I have spent over $1000 on archiving materials. I may never recover for my time on a dollars per hour basis but it feels good to know I have saved these things from becoming lost or destroyed.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Referring back to the postal cards and covers posted earlier, I found these engravings of two of the most prominent addressees noted on the cards...as they say, "a picture's worth a thousand words":

Edited by wt1 - 11/27/2010 10:13 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On one page of the Varieties book some newer plate number blocks have glued themselves onto a page over several varieties of the 1861-62 3 cent Washington. I do not dare peel these off.

You could try putting these in a freezer for a couple days (or longer). Sometimes this will 'pop' the stamps apart.

Fascinating inventory. This would all make a great picture book, for those of us unable to hope to have anything like it.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Swamperbob, it is amazing luck you were the one to find this collection so far it sounds as if your doing a heroic job at saving what sounds like a amazing collection in a dire situation.
for every stamp and cover you can't save think of the ones you do, and where this collection would have ended without your work.

also there are many of us that need page fillers and are not as concerned with condition. so if your going to throw some badly damaged stamps out, please consider offering them for sale here.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin I believe I will have plenty of left over material based on what I see of the collection. Many of the stamps will not be cataloged due to final value versus the expenses of sale. Those will be sold in bulk lots. It will take some time however.

Just in case anyone is interested I took a picture of one wall of my new Stamp office (which was our guest room.) This is before the arrival of the last 105 boxes of stamps and catalogs. It looks FAR WORSE right now. As I sort out the better materials, I place them in 1 inch binders and when they fill I pack them up and ship them off.

The rest of the room looks the same with storage along three walls and now boxes fill the floor stacked two high in this room and our living room.

I also took pictures of the Notebook collection of individual stamps that I discussed above. The shots are in the orfer I discussed them and the final picture shows the second book of Variants with the plate blocks stuck onto of older Washington stamps.

Edited by swamperbob - 11/27/2010 10:36 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, lots of nice stamps and cancels.

We can tell that you are not a stamp collector by how organized you are!

Nice Job.

Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barstoll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.

I'm sure you're ready to pull your hair out with all the cataloging you have to do, not being a stamp collector.

I wish I had that many to sort. That would keep me busy to say the least.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bob, as for the stuck stamps... just soak them if the freezer trick doesn't work, which I don't think it will.

the mint stamp are of no big issue... the ones underneath are
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05