Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Green Oval Two Cent Stamp Washington

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
4 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add redsammer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a green oval two cent stamp with the profile of what appears to
be George Washington. On the back, the stamp is embossed and on the
front the words United States Postage and two cents separated by the
number 2 wrap around in an oval pattern outlining George Washington's
Profile. It is not perforated and appears to be quite old. I cannot
find any like it on line. Do you have any idea how old it might be
and how rare it might be?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is either a U70, U71 or U72. With the nice black bulls eye I can't see all the markings to tell you which one. Year of issue between 1887 & 1894. Unfortunately it is trimmed way to close so I can't really say what color of paper. That's too bad but a lot of people cut them this way back then.

Depending on the envelope stamp type and the paper it would be any where between 10 cents and $22,000 for a U70, blue entire.

The way it is a would price it at a dime or less. But that is what I can tell from the scan. Others may see more or value it more or less.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not really a stamp, it is an impression that has been trimmed from a stamped envelope, it may be anything from U311 to 358 produced between 1877-1894. These are usually collected as "cut squares" or as an entire, being the whole envelope. Unfortunately many stamped envelopes back in the day were cut to match up with spaces in stamp albums and were trimmed to the design, reducing the collector value, The Scott US specialized catalog lists these as "Back of Book".

Edited by fredcdobbs - 10/24/2010 7:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually they are called stamped envelopes. It is just an embosses envelop stamp but still a stamp.

Yeah I used my old cat numbers Scott # are U305 - U323.

Fred you might want to check your dates, I believe mine are correct.
Edited by mkfarm - 10/24/2010 7:31 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28479 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Fairly common I would suggest,
copies I have in Australia
(I used Cat #305, but not sure if that is correct)

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/24/2010   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In most U.S. Stamp catalogs these are defined as either "stamped envelopes and wrappers" or "postal stationery". The Scott catalog section uses numbers beginning with a "U" prefix to define the section for embossed envelopes; the prefix "UC" defines airmail embossed envelopes.

For this particular issue there are subtle differences that make the value of the stamp rise considerably over minimum value. Unforuntately, the condiiton of your stamp so closely cut (and cut into the design at the top) would greatly diminish the value of the stamp, even if it should be one of the better varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/25/2010   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be more interested in the 1 penny red that is to the left of that cut out
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28479 Posts
Posted 10/25/2010   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
plate 140 50c, then has a scissored corner.
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 10/25/2010   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The real trick is if Rod can ID the purple stamp below with just the top line and corner showing

my money is someone here can from just that bit!
4 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redsammer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put other stamps on for anyone to view
http://goscf.com/t/10478
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28479 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ID the purple stamp below with just the top line and corner showing

Yeah, good one Edwin.

Purple wide horizontal format, clean white paper
nice perfs so probably 1950's,> line perforated.
I would have guessed Argentina, but I got up
every purple stamp...no deal.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, Redsammer, we give up! ... What is the purple stamp depicted on the next row below the green oval, where only the corner of the stamp is showing? (I'd guess it's not U.S.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 10/26/2010   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here are a few more embossed covers to give you a perspective on colors and there are a whole range of envelope sizes as well.

Edited by bfranton - 10/26/2010 9:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 10/27/2010   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ah,, yes.. the chickie with the goods.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shingo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone help me find the Scott reference number or value estimate information for this 1 cent embossed envelope stamp?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05