Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 569 / Views: 59,042Next Topic
Page: of 38
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/21/2010   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

At the start on my Machin collection, make some album pages with Albumeasy program.

Easy to use, of course for a Machin colection or better to said a Album of Machins, could use any criterion to make it.

This are a chronological Album page. For Pre-Decimals.

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33054 Posts
Posted 11/21/2010   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice to see a page of used stamps, and hinged,
very nice.
Of course your challenge is to find examples
showing a similar, fine cancel strike to
have the collection uniform.

Arnold at work on your stamps...

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5107 Posts
Posted 11/21/2010   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice page Fernando. How come though it's not in Spanish?
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/21/2010   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great page Fernando! I too like seeing nice used stamps!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/22/2010   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Thank you, sure could you found better albums about Machins, a nice one, can you download on the Robin Harris Machins page.

Only try to encourage to the people to start a Machin collection. Or talk about Machin, then I would learn more. Show in my first album pages, and make it on my own way; a normal album I suppose, the Decimals start with p and finish with the 5, but I make in chronological so start on Feb 15. 1971 to March 31. 2009.

That was on the beginning, now I put all on stockpage so I got many "side ways" collections.

I collect used Machins, do not like the mint stamps. And try to find "CDS" for my collection or better duplicates.

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/22/2010   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Forgot, why I mostly use english instead spanish on my pages?

well Im a expert on the copy/paste, more easy find information on english language about Machins than on spanish.

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

OK. Start to collect Machins.

Step 1? Get the Machins
Drop/trade all your boring commemoratives, get all this very nice small stamps.

Step 2: Sort in one of each color, one of each face value.
That is fun, Im in this step almost two years! Do not why, when I finish sort one of each, start again and again .
This "mini-collections". as usual for me try to trade or give to free.

Here a image with different values/color.

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2468 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A fascinating subspecialty of Machins is PERFIN's. I have a large binder's worth of a collection and thousands of dumplicates [that was a typo, but I think I like that word!]. I bought the CD to get their list of perfins on Machins - it was quite useful.
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Thousand of perfins? Machins perfins or any?
I got some Machins perfins but dont fill half stock page.

When you talk about CD, what CD do you refer? a Machins perfin would be nice.

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
novato (or anyone),

I have 2 sets of 3 of the below stamps I got on a mailing one time. If you (or anyone wants them I can mail them to you no charge. Plus some other Machins I have lying around collecting dust.

(If novato says no this is open to the next person to claim them.)

edit: That is, if they are Machins. I call them that, they are Regional stamps, similar to the last Machins in novato's picture with the Welsh dragon on them.
Edited by Puzzler - 11/28/2010 2:43 pm
Valued Member
Ecuador
159 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Well, Im not a expert or a serious collector, but I think the "Machin" name to the stamp refer only to stamps with the sculpt of Queen Elizabeth II.

Copy of Robin Harris site.

[Machins are named after Arnold Machin, a sculptor who designed the portrait of the Queen used on these Great Britain stamps.]

Your stamps are called "Regional Definitive"?

Fernando Moscoso
Ecuador
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mistake then. I am not knowing enough to start with !

Now that I started to go look for them I can't find them. Now I think I kept the scans but sold the stamps or included them in a group of stamps that I sold.

I am so disorganized right now I have piles of stamps on my piles of stamps. How did this happen?

Sorry for the confusion.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
[Machins are named after Arnold Machin, a sculptor who designed the portrait of the Queen used on these Great Britain stamps.]

I knew it had to be something like this. I don't generally collect many stamps of Great Britain, but like most casual collectors of that country, the Machins come up quite often anyway.

It's an interesting topic to be sure, but in all the posts I have read about them, I never knew until now where the term "Machin" originated from. Now I know! Learn something new all the time on SCF.

Now for a question: Just curious as to why there are so many Machins? Does it have to do with the Queen endorsing that stamp to always be used so postal officials just have to change the denomination and color as postal rates require?

I read on a separate post about counterfeit Machins and while I know they are illegal, I wonder if Machins simply by what they are encourages that activity, since the same design is used and the only thing that differentiates them are the colors and denominations.
Edited by wt1 - 11/28/2010 4:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now that I started to go look for them I can't find them

If you find them on your pile of stamps which is on your pile of stamps, or even underneath either of those piles or both, then can you reserve them for me ? Did you get that?

Nor sure I did, but I'm raising my hand anyway.

Only if Novato doesn't want them of course.

Quote:
and the only thing that differentiates them are the colors and denominations.

Oh!, if only it were that simple !

There are colours, denominations, perforations, Printer, Printing methods, Booklet or sheet, Phosphor bands [tagging], Missing phosphor [tagging], Straight edges, fat numbers, thin numbers and more. Plus a mix of one or more of those.

But it's fun.

Londonbus1....with a sore head!
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
London, I have had David King asking via email first off the bat so if I find any the first lot are his. Hoever, if I do find the rest, and I was sure I still had some, then you will be the next on the list, no worries.

Off to have another look . . . using a flashlight (torch) this time!
Page: of 38 Previous TopicReplies: 569 / Views: 59,042Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05