Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 06/23/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right Ringo. I didn't know that. I just won an auction for a 2003 two volume set of the Deegam encyclopedia. I hope it will help me.

Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
South Africa
222 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All, Could anyone tell me where is the best place in South Africa I can obtain Machin Kilo-ware,

Thank you

Ray
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried contacting several well known dealers in the UK to purchase a reference Machin paper selection.

I want them in mint condition since used stamps may be compromised. No responses so far.

Anyone have recommendations?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
689 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is a reference Machin paper selection?
Valued Member
Ecuador
149 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ha, a Machin Kiloware dealer, all people here want that information, the most valuable kind of information its a kiloware dealer source. My dealer passed, so my last kiloware was almost 10 years ago!!
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ringo,

I think what Angore means is buying known examples of various Machins for comparative purposes, ie 743 which is on OCP paper with two bands compared to 743c which is OCP paper with phosphous added (PCP). Having known samples help identify unknown stamps.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I want a reference set of Machin stamps of various paper types to help me identify them.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/21/2019 5:12 pm
Valued Member
Ecuador
149 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
all predecimal are on OCP paper?to indentify paper, better use used stamps?
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore,

Which ones you you using (SG #'s)? I'd like to compare notes. So far, I have purchased the low value predecimals (723-744) which, I believe, are OCP. Also 733, 733ey, and 733b(which comes off the Stamps for Cooks booklet). These 733's reveal both head types and one missing phospher. I also purchased 743c to go with my 743. This is the one that is all phospher. Now, which ones do you have, angore? And which ones do we still have to get?

Jack Kelley
Edited by jkelley01938 - 07/21/2019 8:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And you, Navato!

I am really happy you chimed in. I am collecting used Machins like you. But I am rather new at this and have the adminware Novice pages. Lots of Machin kiloware on hand. I have a SW/LW lamp, 10-40 magnifier, tweezers, and a darkroom. All of the "known examples" are MNH or UMM depending how you say it. Oh, and I have the 3rd edition Deegam.

All I have to do is to figure out what I am doing! Any advice would be most welcome. I wish we had a Machin section on this forum. I am aware of the UK Machin Forum site but the info appears to be somewhat dated. Robin Harris' site is really good. Stay with us, Novato. We need you.

EDIT PS The adminware site covering Predecimals shows almost 100% OCP.

Jack Kelley
Edited by jkelley01938 - 07/21/2019 9:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm frustrated that I have yet to jump into Machins. I'm interested in building a "complete" MNH set of all majors/major varieties (papers, tagging, perfs, shades, dies). Definitely not a kiloware collector. It's possible to buy major units of materials, hopefully complete. There is a British seller on eBay who can supply complete units based on years of issue, types, etc, so it's not necessary to buy a complete unit at once.

Jet Stamps offers 2 versions of a "complete" unit, based on the degree to which one wishes to specialize and which reference catalog is used. It's not a small purchase- a few thousand dollars. When I think about all the KGVI I still want to find, it's hard for me to wrap my mind around spending this kind of coin on a very large, modern definitive collection. Heck, for that kind of money I could build at least one of the 1932 Somalia definitives if not 2.

I could buy random auction lots and do the sorting (which would be fun), but of course I'd end up with tons of dupes and with key stamps perpetually missing from the collection. So I've been in stasis for some time about Machins. By venting here in the forum, I am shamelessly hoping someone will post an idea or solution that will be the epiphany I need to get started.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae,

We are traveling in the same lanes. I collect GB (Davo), KGVI (Palo), USA (Mystic), and WW used (Harris). Now I am into Machins.

My approach on this one is to collect kiloware and hinge whatever I save onto Robin Harris' Novice pages which I printed off on 32 lb ivory resume paper. Filed in a Lighthouse binder.

I chose this approach because it was the cheapest way to go. I am spread way to thin as it is now. The biggest expense is the startup - about $400- for reseach materials (most of that was the Deegam), UV light, paper and binder, etc. The Machin kiloware is rather inexpensive.

I know you prefer the quality stuff. But I look at it as a hobby and not an investment. I could eBay my Machins MNH and stick them into the book, but that's not what I want to do this time. Its OK to have blank spots in the set and its OK to use hinges. Its just a cheap way to have a hobby. Hope this helps.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am referring to mostly decimal issues but not security cuts or self-adhesive.

Adminware lists the following:
ACP, Contractor's paper. FCP, OCP, OFNP/OFPP, POP, PCP (more than 1), PPP
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1593 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore,

But which SG numbers are you buying for test stamps? I know the predecimals are OCP as are most of the very early decimals. But that's about all that I know. I've been reading Deegam and am still confused!

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack,
I wanted a knowledgeable to pick the right stamps to demonstrate. There may be better selections than others that demonstrate something to use as a guide.
Al
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05