Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 08/11/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you mean SG114?

S 114 44p 2B Thistle
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
Posted 08/11/2019   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Do you have one? Reply jkelley01938@yahoo.com

Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. I do not have that one.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bummer. I found a used one on Hipstamp. It'll have to do for now.

Thanks Anyway
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all, Just starting out with Machins I have bought and done a rough sort according to denomination starting to soak, I have downloaded and printed the basic album form adminware, and the Machin security album from Stampweb (big thankyou for those)and have read through the Machin 101 pdf,and so armed want to move on and tackle mounting and such.

Now my question is this:
What is by general consensus the most logical/best way to mount Used Machins, hindges or mounts, seing as they are low in value my thinking is use hinges, I think correct me if im wrong the mounts will cost more than the stamps themselves. Well especially for the low value ones.
I'm looking for a bit of guidance from the knowledgable people here, dont want to start with one method then realise I should have gone with the other. I do realise personal preference plays a part in the decision, but im on a fairly tight budget so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Ray
Regards Ray
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26719 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
best way to mount Used Machins, hindges or mounts

Opinion : Absolutely Mounts.

Machins arrive in their thousands, beginning collectors are forever up-grading each value, for better examples.
Open top mounts make it easy to take out the old and replace with the new.

Otherwise, a tight budget would have me say hinge, but not this time.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great choice, Ray. I'm totally freaked out on these things. Like you, I'm using the Adminware pages except I paid $30 for the Novice pages. I do not regret it. I mount my stamps using Prinz hinges. They work well for the purpose and the hinged stamps look great. Study this thread well as there is a lot of info here. Recommend you purchase Machin Kiloware where you can get a lot of stamps for a nominal price. You say you have a tight budget but eventually you'll need a 10-40 microscope and a UV light. A Deegam Handbook is a must!

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod222 and Jkelly for the advice, Think ill bite the bullet and go with mounts but I think I might just wait a bit and spring for the Novice pages as suggested.I did by a couple of packets of kiloware cheap so busy going through them, Mainy 1st and 2nd stamps both fonts, a couple of other denominations, as I go along and get a bit more knolage will revisit them.

10-40 microscope and a UV light. A Deegam Handbook is a must!

Luckily I do have a UV light and a 10x linen tester to start me off, I have LED lighting in the room and it does help with seeng the Bands.I have looked at the Deegham site and was going to buy one when my finances alowed it,

Rod222 is that a DIY album page, I like the extra info it gives.

Thanks again,

Ray

Regards Ray
Valued Member
Ecuador
155 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect used, and like to accumulate Machins.

Now Im using, stockbooks, radio shack magnifier 15x, bank note checker UV lamp.

it was impossible for me to fill the adminware free album, I could never get 10p/26p narrow values and 25p salmon pink non elliptical.

I Play with albumeasy all day, trying to make the best Machins album ever, without success, ha.

so hinges for me.
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The most cost effective way is Vario (or something similar) pages using labels. If your interests change (like more specialized) you can adapt. I have Adminware Intermediate as a reference.

Scott's listings (and what Steiner follows) is too simplistic to me since many easy to get varieties are not noted so missing a lot of fun. My level is closer to SG detail level.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/22/2019 09:10 am
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Novato, I like to play with albumeasy too, could you send me the txt files for me to play with, maybe
the two of us could come up with someting of an album.

I only knew of the adminware levels, will look into the SG levels and compare, then make a decision which path to follow. Like stamps I like to collect information before I dive into a project. Machins although seem simple at face value can get quite involved and intimidating to a novice like myself.
Regards Ray
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone tell me where I can get/order the Deegham CD I have tried the site but get an error,
I then did a google and I see He has sadly passed on, RIP. Has anyone or group taken up his tourch.
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Deegam handbook is available through the website. There is a new editor. Can't help you with the error you are receiving, though.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I connected with them via the web site link last week. The name was Gerry Fisk.
Al
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I got to the site at home.
Regards Ray
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05