Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26718 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod222 is that a DIY album page, I like the extra info it gives.

Ray,
my pages are from Mr. William Steiner.
Pages for every country in the world, and then some, for around $40 (at least when I bought the DVD's)

http://www.stampalbums.com/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1623 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfin,

The latest hardcover Deegam is 2003 - a two volume set. As you probably know by now, they are offering CD's which will take you clear thru 2018. I understand it is fairly easy to use and has a great search feature. I do not have the CD set yet but do have the 2003 hardcover set. I have found it to be quite helpful.

Jack
Edited by jkelley01938 - 08/22/2019 7:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you order the Deegam CD, they burn a copy that includes all updates through the latest Deegam Report. Deegam Reports are published about every 10 weeks and contain the latest information (new issues, new discoveries, varieties, etc.) for not just Machins, but all G.B. decimal definitives. When you order a CD, you will receive a code to enable you to download Deegam Reports from the website (for the next 5 years). The next report is scheduled to be published 9 Sep. Excerpt from last Report is below.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 08/22/2019 8:50 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222 First time I've seen Steiner pages for the Machins, does he do album pages just fo Machins or
are they part of a GB album. The Steiner pages I've seen are quite basic, and some have been modified by
the collector.

Thank you for the info Trainwreck.

Im busy modifying an albumeasy text file found on the stampweb Albums page. Using a couple of
free downloaded albums from around the web as inspiration and reference, to make up my own
album.

Im will be getting the Deegam CD when finances allow
(exchange rates are not favorable for me 1 Rand ZAR = 18 Pounds)
Will then buy the Steiner albums, dont realy need WW but will be worth
it for the areas I collect, mainly Southern Africa region
Regards Ray
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26718 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod222 First time I've seen Steiner pages for the Machins, does he do album pages just fo Machins or
are they part of a GB album. The Steiner pages I've seen are quite basic, and some have been modified by
the collector.

Repeat:

c$40 covers stamp album pages for the whole world, and then some.

If you find Steiner Basic, then please, go elsewhere.
We all need to find the pages that suit ourselves, I have not used others, so I cannot comment there.
Certainly Deegam is known as the ultimate reference, and it is exciting that reference material is about that offers study of the deepest kind.

If one thinks that Steiner pages are basic, then the corollory is that the Scott Catalogue is basic.

Edited by rod222 - 08/23/2019 02:21 am
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222 it's just that I have seen only basic pages of Steiner, was not aware that there where more detailed ones. I'm sure Steiner will be good for the other areas I collect as I do not delve to deeply there, any pages that I might need I'll just use album easy to supplement them
Regards Ray
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26718 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfin,
Here are Mr. Steiner's (Basic ) Great Britain pages.............

PS: Be aware "Machins 2006" will include every Scott Machin from First Issue inception to 2006.

Edited by rod222 - 08/23/2019 05:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner is distributed in a lot of small PDF's (10k to 50k). I just combine the issuing countries into 1 file. For example, all Bermuda pages yielded a 300k file size.

I print on need so always looking for a page to print plus I modify them to add catalog number so saving changes too. This way the search function can be used across the entire range.

Al
Edited by angore - 08/23/2019 06:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to delve into Machins beyond a basic collection, the Adminware Machin pages are an alternative to Steiner, with four sets of album pages of increasing specialization.

Personally, I've opted for Vario pages with profiles supplied with the Deegam handbook. This allows me to tailor the page to account for stamps with selvage, or labels, etc. You don't have that kind of room on a pre-printed page. Selvage information or attached labels can be key to proper specialized identification.

Here are a couple of my pages for the 50p Machin that I scanned a few years ago.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1623 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck,

How do you make those writeups? They look so cool.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack,
If you scroll up a bit to the CD picture you will see printed on the CD "With Profiles". They come with the CD. :)

Also, the periodic Deegam Reports include profiles for the new issues.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 08/23/2019 12:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1623 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is really nice. Do they go all back to the beginning? I really need to get that CD.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are profiles for all million varieties, and then some.

You might want to hold off getting the CD right now. They are working on updating the content to the 5th edition. I don't know when it will be available though.

Robert
Valued Member
South Africa
226 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info will most probably only be able to order the CD net the end of December, but I do like the info on your pages Trainwreck, I do like an album page, so will see if I can incorporate the two.

As always thank you to all for the information.
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6451 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PerfinRK, you might try this website while you are waiting: https://www.adminware.ca/machin.htm .
It is full of good stuff

Peter
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05