Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Talk About Machins

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An update. I was about to configure Acrobat to open links in a new window so that is a big improvement.

The other discovery was if you do not keep the Deegam folder stored in the root directory as recommended you get Acrobat warning messages when clicking a link. I tried changing Acrobat Trust settings based upon some internet recommendations but nothing seemed to work.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What aspect was cleared up? I have the Deegam hardcover 2003 and the latest CD. I like the cd better.

Jack
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The initial challenge was when I clicked a link it opened in the same Acrobat window and no way to go back in Acrobat or the PDF.
Al
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All the talk about Deegam I came across the connoisseur album site and after a quick look I downloaded the 11 chapters as PDF's, is this a good resource to have as an interim to getting the Deegam CD.

What are your thoughts on this resource?

Connoisseur is quite good.

Douglas G.A. Myall - who sadly died last year - set up his catalogue system that looks at the technique (printing, paper, phosphor bars, etc.). He ignores shades. Connoisseur, that is used by John M. Deering, a dealer / new issue service provider who writes "Machin Watch" in Gibbons Stamp Monthly, also discerns shades.

An advantage of Deegam is that you will find all listings of a single value together. Connoisseur requires you to identify paper/gum/printing technique type to find the listing. This may not be very helpful when you collect used Machins that no longer have gum. Deegam also is more encyclopaedic than Connoisseur. It, for instance, also lists the Hong Kong issues with the Machin Head.
Valued Member
Ecuador
157 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The system of opening the pdf and looking for things from Deegam is interesting but it does not work as one wants, I tried the PDF before with acrobat without success, now I use Foxit reader it works very well, open each PDF in tabs, and I can return to the previous one without problem.
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will note the ability to keep the prior page open required an Acrobat setting change.
Al
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
now I use Foxit reader it works very well

After using Foxit Reader for some 6 years, I just found the ability to identify a text string in multiples in a striking Puce colour.
Just fabulous.
I can now load my personal ID lists, and find every stamp of a particular design, that just yells out from the page.
Some of these modern programs are so rich in options, they remain hidden to us fellas that are not so adept.
Edited by rod222 - 02/23/2020 9:17 pm
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the true Machin junkies who are not afraid of an overdose.

In Appendix 11 of the Deegam Handbook, third edition appears a list of non-UK Machins. Here are a few of the Hong Kong Machins.

Edited by NSK - 02/24/2020 3:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I miss my Machins. Been very busy lately. I did get around to updating my Adminware Novice album thru 2019.

Jack Kelley
Edited by jkelley01938 - 02/24/2020 6:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did look at Foxit. I was interested in the Commenting function.

It tries to get you to install 2 add-ons during the installation of the Free Reader and has ads on opening screen.. The reader version does not allow you the option to change search color.

When you install, it obviously wants to be the default PDF viewer and inserts itself into Microsoft Office by adding a menu item to command bar.

The interface is very Office like with a ribbon. When you open a PDF it prompts if you wan to stay in safe mode but does open links into new window by default.

The Comment function (how I add cat numbers to Steiner pages) worked similarly. The search function is nicer too.
Al
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 03/08/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A stamp to look out for.

In 1999, Royal Mail decided to bring the range of high value Machins in line with the lower values. The 1.50, 2, 3 and 5 were issued in the same size. However, they were printed in intaglio. In 2003, Royal Mail once again decided to bring the range of high value Machins in line with the lower values. This time, the printing method was changed.

On the dot cylinder sheets, the 2 stamp adjacent to the cylinder number was missing the -sign. The error was only discovered after the stamp had been issued on 1 July 2003. It later appeared the British Philatelic Bulletin, issued by Royal Mail weeks in advance of the issue, had shown the error without anyone noticing it.

This was at a time when Royal Mail's philatelic bureau still provided stamps from a specific sheet position on standing order.

Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05