Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railway (Train) Stations On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 108 / Views: 27,148Next Topic
Page: of 8
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod my grandfather worked for the Grand Trunk Railway in Quebec, and my great grandfather as an Irish immigrant labourer built it! Where is that station located?

As a side note, Grand Trunk Railway president Charles Melville Hays died on the sinking of the Titanic in 1912.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Valued Member
United Kingdom
186 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marius to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moldova Train Station

Liechtenstein Train Stations

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35535 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Cynical,
I probably came across it in my search for
the Grand Trunk Railway parcel stamp,
which some claim as bogus.
Cannot re locate that image.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
McAdam Railway Station, McAdam, New Brunswick.

Built in 1900, the McAdam Railway Station is a National and Provincial Historic site and a designated Heritage Railway Station. Located on the New Brunswick-Maine border the former Canadian Pacific Railway Station was part of the main CPR line into Atlantic Canada.

The Station is operated and managed by the McAdam Historical Restoration Commission. It is an active museum offering tours, catered meals, conference facilities and much more.

BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the GTW parcel stamp distinct from the GTW newspaper stamp (which is text only, and also possibly spurious)?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 11/26/2010   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Pacific Railway perfin (U.S. Scott 698)

Edit: Grand Trunk Railway perfin (U.S. Scott 557)

Edited by Russ - 11/26/2010 10:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35535 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yay, thanks for the GTR perfin Russ.

The unconfirmed GTR Railway Newspaper label.

The GTR CDS on a revenue (not my scan)

Edited by rod222 - 11/27/2010 02:52 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Grand Trunk Station in Ottawa (not my card).

BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grand Trunk Pacific Railway Canadian revenue (again not mine):

BeeSee in BC
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35535 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff
Thanks BeeSee.

BTW meant to add,
I think you are a Tokelau collector,
what chance those three kids afloat 50 days
at sea, appear on a stamp?
An amazing story, BC.

Edited by rod222 - 11/27/2010 10:16 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That Tokelau story was on the front page of the Vancouver Sun newspaper yesterday - yes amazing!
BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grand Trunk Bonaventure Station, Montreal, 1871.

BeeSee in BC
Edited by BeeSee - 11/27/2010 10:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 11/27/2010   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Montreal station is very nice, is it still standing? So many architectural gems have fallen to time.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirk, Bonaventure Station was destroyed by fire in 1916. It was built in 1847 as the main terminal for the Montreal and Lachine Railway. It was leased by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1864 to provide access to downtown Montreal for that company; GTR subsequently purchased the station and incorporated it as the railway's Montreal terminal.

A temporary station was built on the spot, but it lasted until the early 50's and was torn down, as Central Station became the main Montreal railway station. The GTR had been long taken over by the CNR (Canadian National Railways).
BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/28/2010   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is La Pocatiere Railway Station (or Gare de La Pocatiere in French), located in the the Bas-Saint-Laurent region of Quebec. I do not know when it was built, I cannot find information on the internet.

It does appear to have been part of the Grand Trunk Railway route, as per the cancel on the stamp. The cancel is not at a good resolution, but the date appears to be Jul 18, 1864.

I found this image on the internet, it shows the same picture but a different cancel, dated 1862.

Edit: added map the red "A" shows the location of La Pocatiere.

BeeSee in BC
Edited by BeeSee - 11/28/2010 2:53 pm
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 108 / Views: 27,148Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05