Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Cancel, Slogan Or Postmark?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,525Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 03/24/2013   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia postmark
Comox is home to the Canadian air force base CFB Comox.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by timbres667 - 03/24/2013 07:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 03/24/2013   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that the "Collectible Panda" postmark gives us lots of interesting possibilities. Here, the sun really makes the Bear smile, don't you think?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/16/2013   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple from the last couple of days of office mail:

I always enjoy seeing these CDS + killer bars from the smaller towns around here:

And I really like this one - a large-format spray cancel? Very nice!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/16/2013   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a large-format spray cancel

And an especially legible one, too! Very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/16/2013   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly! Usually, the large envelopes come with the heavy bars and large CDS-type obliteration... I'll have to grab one from home to scan.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/17/2013   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I would post a few from my "Idaho Box". (See my thread in the kiloware forum: http://goscf.com/t/31827 ) I haven't had a chance to Google much on these, so I welcome any information anyone wants to share *hint hint wt1*

My daughters and I were quite amused by this cheesy slogan cancel:

Cumbernauld toptown in the world?

1904 St. Louis World's Fair:

1899 Sioux City & Norfolk RPO:

1904 West Philadelphia Station flag cancel:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 04/17/2013   2:40 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(SUBLIMINAL HINT FOR SITE MODERATORS/OWNER - we need a section specific to cancels and postal markings!)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/17/2013   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(SUBLIMINAL HINT FOR SITE MODERATORS/OWNER - we need a section specific to cancels and postal markings!)

*Not-so-subliminal thumbs up*
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
586 Posts
Posted 04/17/2013   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I heard a story that when letters from Canada with the above slogan started arriving to Russian addresses (think Cold War), that the Russian authorities complained to Canadian officials that we were actively encouraging rebellion (paranoid or what?)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/23/2013   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From office mail, upside-down 2013 Year of the Snake with Wolbach, Nebraska, CDS:
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/23/2013   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I admit it: I've never heard of Wolbach, NE before ... this is probably why:

Quote:
In 2010, there were 283 people, 128 households, and 76 families residing in the village.

It's amazing that a town of that size qualifies for their own post office...but here it is:

Edited by wt1 - 04/23/2013 3:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/23/2013   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's amazing that a town of that size qualifies for their own post office.

Is there any sort of distance threshold that the USPS uses to determine which POs to consolidate, etc? I wonder if Wolbach is just far enough away from any other villages/towns/cities to make it worth keeping a PO open?

Also, I'm not sure if it's an "official" PO or "community" PO - and I don't exactly know the difference. My comment is based on something I read in this article about the closing of the PO in an even smaller NE village: http://www.theindependent.com/news/...4445b8a.html (Full disclosure: Sue's son is one of my best friends from college. )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few posts back, we were talking about the large-format cancels. Here is an example of what I usually see come through the office mail:

The date's legible, but that's about it! I'm 90% sure the CDS says "Schuyler, NE", which is the name of the town.

Edited to make the image click-able to view larger.
Edited by Zuzu - 04/25/2013 4:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/01/2013   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From today's office mail:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
599 Posts
Posted 05/01/2013   11:44 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Her's a slogan cancel from 1915.

Edited by kcaramat - 05/01/2013 11:45 am
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,525Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05