Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Cancel, Slogan Or Postmark?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,470Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 05/03/2013   3:55 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fresh from today!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
Posted 05/03/2013   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dirtydan223 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love that train!!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/03/2013   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never knew there was a National Train Day ... but sure enough:

Quote:
National Train Day is a holiday started by Amtrak in 2008 as a method to spread information to the general public about the advantages of rail travel and the history of trains in the United States. It is held each year on the Saturday closest to May 10th, the anniversary of the pounding of the Golden Spike in Promontory, Utah which marked the completion of the first transcontinental railroad.
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 05/04/2013   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Left-- Hempstead NY

Right-- Walsenburg CO (I think)

-IBFS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/14/2013   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Williamsburg, Iowa, CDS received yesterday:

(click for larger)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/14/2013   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ord, Nebraska, CDS:

(click for larger)

I know it's barely legible - sharing mostly because it's red ink, which I don't see very often around here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From today's mail from the tiny (47 people according to the 2010 census) village of Saronville, Nebraska:

I even found a photo of the post office, which is apparently open from 8 am to 10 am Monday through Saturday:

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although one can't always tell from a photo just what's there, the post office is surprisingly lacking a flagpole and the wall mounted mailbox is certainly an unusual piece of postal history from yesteryear. I thought those mailboxes were all but obsolete!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/20/2013   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a pole at the corner of the sidewalk right in front of the door, but there was no flag at the time the photo was taken. Clicking on the photo will take you to the flickr page where it was originally posted. According to that page, it was taken May 28, 2010, which was a Friday. My guess is that the photo was taken after the PO had closed, so no flag.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/30/2013   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice red Osceola, Nebraska, CDS:

ETA: The scan cut off the top for some reason. The stamps are intact on the envelope.
Edited by Zuzu - 05/30/2013 2:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 06/14/2013   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Central City, Nebraska... notice the barcode/destination zip? The envelope was run through upside down. (You can click for a larger version.)

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/14/2013   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zuzu: It's also unusual these days to see a true CDS postmark. The year is also a bit "funky" in its appearance, especially the numeral "3" in "2013". Could it be that the part of the CDS that indicates the year was retrofitted later, to cause such a difference in appearance from the rest of the date?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 06/14/2013   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, that seems very plausible. I tried to look at the Ord CDS posted above for comparison, but it's not clear.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 08/08/2013   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, y'all know I love my Nebraska cancels. Here's one for a place I'd never heard of: Wausa, pop. 634, apparently it's the Swedish Capital of Nebraska.

And here's a picture of the post office:

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/09/2013   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That little town of Wausa, Nebraska has an interesting postal history as to how it got it's name (at least if Wiki can be believed.):

Quote:
In 1882 Theodore T. Thorson was the first resident. He named it Thorson, Nebraska. He was also the first postmaster. He was returning from a five month travel over the west coast, Montana and Wyoming, in search of a good location for stock raising.

Mr. Thorson returned to Minnesota and in the following spring married and returned to Nebraska with his bride. He leased 200 acres (0.81 km2) [of] land [and] built a sod house and started a sheep ranch consisting of 115 sheep. Families immigrating from Sweden began coming and Thorson was appointed land agent. At this time Creighton, Nebraska had the nearest railroad station. A pony express was started by a man with the name Campbell. He made three trips a week between Creighton. The post office was also Thorson's home.

By 1885, 12 new families had moved into the settlement and it was decided that they would change the name to "Vasa" in honor of the Swedish King Gustaf Vasa. The railroad came through Vasa on November 27, 1890. At this time the name was changed to Wausa, a combination of the kings name and the letters U.S.A.
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,470Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05