Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Cancel, Slogan Or Postmark?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,521Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wt1, thanks for that infobon the airmail saves time cancel as I have a whistler's mother stamp with the plane cancel and had no clue what it was. I just liked the look of it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 03/09/2014   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this one is just "Fantastic". Most would say "Super", but I think something is missing ... like the rest of the city name. Any ideas?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/09/2014   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several possibilities, but the City of Superior, Wisconsin initially comes to mind.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2321 Posts
Posted 03/16/2014   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You are the first to ever point that out to me. I can't believe I have had this stamp for at least 10 years and never noticed the numeric sequence before! Sure looks suspicious! Might have been a soldier with a "liberated" canceling device and looted stamps, or maybe even a German postal clerk looking to make some items more salable to collectors now that the war was obviously coming to its end.

But then if not contrived, it's a truly serendipitous occurrence.

Don

The most likely scenario is a postal clerk or collector who knew that specific date/time was coming up, and wanted to take advantage of it by getting a legitimate cancel with that unique sequence. Only happens once a century, after all. The stamp and cancel were both valid for that date, and it was before the Allies captured the city.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 03/25/2014   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few Nebraska postmarks I haven't gotten around to sharing.

Valentine's Day from Carleton

Speaking of Valentine, I found this one in the TRASH!

And this one received today from West Point:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 04/09/2014   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a fun one from North Loup, Nebraska (population 296 as of the 2010 Census). As you can see, it went through the sprayer, but they were considerate enough to run it through upside down and preserve the nice postmark!

Note that the mail seems to have travelled back in time to the year 201. ;)
Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed looking at everyone's posts. Some of the comments made me think of a couple of Nebraska ones I will look for, and maybe post later, if there is still an interest.

Here are a couple of slogans I found, I thought were fun to see.

Why, yes, yes I did. Now, could someone toss me a life ring? I'm drowning in stamps here.

I'm guessing this reads something along the lines of Support National Historic Preservation Week, on a Wildlife Preservation stamp.

My initial thought was 'Orient Express' would be from a train far, far away, and I couldn't figure out how the donkey figured into it, until I learned it's a Shrek slogan cancel.

Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Couple more, then I might go find the Nebraska ones.

If anyone knows what this cancel is, I'd greatly appreciate being enlightened.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3087 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's the outline of Long Island, which having the entire cancel solves. Although this one looks more like a slug crawing up the giraffe's neck.

Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information and a laugh.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3087 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have about 100 of these cancel humor and cancel coincidences in an exhibit which gets shown as a space-filler exhibit when needed.

Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Zuzu, or the Nebraska fans, are around, here's Nebraska cancelling out the original Washington in New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California.

It makes me wonder how many states I have (or referenced to) on one cover?
Edited by cet_gg - 02/07/2015 4:47 pm
Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are great, John. I like the snowman listening to the Cat in the Hat.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are all nice. Thanks for showing.

Welcome to Stamp Community also, a bit late but good none the less!

I like the one with the dolphin myself.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a stumper.

A 1959 slogan cancel from Boston, Massachusetts with an illegible (unreadable to me anyway) slogan. Does anyone know what the caption was to have read?

Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,521Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05