Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Cancel, Slogan Or Postmark?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,516Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzler, I like the dolphin leaping over the tugboat, too. I, also, like the way the panda's look like they're snuggling up to the one on the stamp, as well.

wt1, I wish I could help with that. It will stick with me, in the event I come across it, or someone does post a response. I've a few stumper's myself.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3082 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And here's making a winged horse the hard way ...

Edited by John Becker - 02/07/2015 9:09 pm
Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/07/2015   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pegasus, poets, Waterloo, Bellerophon... very nice, John.

EDIT: A Daphne Du Maurier stamp would make that last one mythologically epic.
Edited by cet_gg - 02/07/2015 9:59 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can look most of these up yourself here- http://www.dcstampclub.org/pdfs/DC_..._Cancels.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3082 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link to the listing of Washington DC slogans is interesting, although I am puzzled by the author's choice to show only the slogan portion and omit the dial portion of the postmark. The dials provide to bulk of the information as to the make and model of the machine - Americam, International, Universal, the machine number, etc. Ironic similarity that the MPOS omits the killers, which are often useful to differentiate railroad markings.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John:

Thanks for posting the Washington, DC "Academy of American Poets" slogan cancel which compares to the Boston one that I couldn't read. I have seen that slogan cancel before but would have never guessed it was the same slogan based on the blurred example I have.

Some might find it interesting to see the both examples together:

The only guess I can make is perhaps the Boston slogan was imprinted using a worn die, since the CDS is very legible and its only the slogan that is unreadable.
Edited by wt1 - 02/08/2015 11:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3082 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All parts of these dials and slogans are steel, so wear is extremely minimal. The dial is removed from the machine many times a day to change the time/day slugs and thus is frequently wiped off. The slogan piece remains in the machine for weeks or months at a time and accumulates ink, lint, dust, etc. A little cleaning can make quite a contrast.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. In fact, the Boston example appears as if it is a late use of the "Academy of American Poets" anyway. Although you can't judge Boston by the DC Slogan Cancel link posted earlier, in DC anyway, the slogan had a LKU of October 13, 1959. The Boston example above is dated October 30, 1959 -- more than two weeks later. I wonder what the LKU of the Boston example would have been?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 02/15/2015   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires" said the man running through town carrying a torch ...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3082 Posts
Posted 02/18/2015   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some US cancel/stamp combos from the 1960s

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/18/2015   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That Seward, Nebraska slogan cancel is quite interesting, particularly because the USPOD abbreviation for Nebraska changed to NB in 1963 and to NE in 1969, at the request of Canada, so as to not confuse it with New Brunswick:

Although countless millions of slogan cancels were undoubtedly made during that six (6) year period, one has to wonder just how many in-period examples were saved as a collectible.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3082 Posts
Posted 02/18/2015   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Flipping through my small Nebraska accumulation looking for exceptions, here are two cancels from Universal Model K machines, both from 1993: Silver Creek still using the NB dial, and Hyannis using the pre-Zipcode dial with NEBR for the state.

And a 1992 roller cancel from Lawrence which was "fixed" by taking a file to the NB to make it into a NE.

And 3 more machines with the filed-off NB. The cut through the dial-rim exactly aligns with the end of the newly-made E.

Edited by John Becker - 02/18/2015 2:38 pm
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 02/18/2015   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more cancels/slogan/postmarks.

Pillar Of The Community
1364 Posts
Posted 02/19/2015   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd share some. For now (maybe more later):

Has anyone ever seen an IPSA cancellation on cover that was not an FDC?
Valued Member
175 Posts
Posted 02/19/2015   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cet_gg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"More will live
the more you give
heart fund"

giraffe gaffe of giant proportions in our collection of stamps

The following two, I cannot make out, nor find on the DC link kindly offered. I have spent a few hours looking, in a few different resources, but to no avail. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate some help in learning what they are.

I know the stamp is worthless, it's the slogan I'm interested in, in the off chance I see it again.

This one appears to have two box shaped cancels on it? One the left I can see '1502' in a box, in a box, and on the right I can make out 'Get your *something* in five (?) *something, something* with *something*'.

Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,516Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05