Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Blue Flea : Advanced Information.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 11,030Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 10/06/2012   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might Kreiensen have been in the Soviet Zone? That would explain it.

[edit: No, I see that it was not in the Soviet Zone. Back to the drawing board.]
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Cjd - 10/06/2012 8:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 10/11/2012   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone help her out on this one ? I know there are advanced Germany collectors and knowledgeable philatelists who read the forum.
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2440 Posts
Posted 10/11/2012   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing about Bizone issues other than what I can read from Michel, so take this with a grain of salt...

The postage and markings on that cover don't make much sense. It's almost certainly philatelic in origin.

The 6 and 4 pfenning stamps are from the Bizone (American and British controlled area), and I think 10 pfenning was the proper rate for a local letter (Hannover and Kreinsen are both in Lower Saxony). However, it would be odd for a letter between those two cities to be sent airmail, as they're only 60km apart. There's also no postage to cover the airmail rate, which I think was 5 pf at that time.

The third stamp is from the French Zone, and shouldn't have been used on a letter from Hannover.

The cancel is a commemorative cancel celebrating stamp day, so it's likely this was created at a stamp exhibition for philatelic purposes.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 10/12/2012   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jopie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, PostmasterGS! Your explanation makes perfectly sense, I had not thought about it being a philatelic cover. Those stams and covers from that post war era are confusing!
Jopie
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 09/01/2014   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coming late to the party, I have been cataloging a bunch of accumulated stamps and discovered one of what I now know is referred to as the "Blue Flea". Thanks to rod222, who posted an excerpt from the Byrum catalog, I identified this as a Byrum S1, imperforate, wmk. A2 (standing, facing left).

Also, using rod222's link to the German Philatelic Society, I affirmed that the design is the pointed "N", the low-angle "R", the slim and uniform "Berlin" and the "E" extends beyond the "N".

Thanks to the Forum for fantastic information.
Donald
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stayed up all night sorting and identifying the various types of the BLUE FLEA ,got about two pages of stamps ready to mount .Hoping to show them later today here .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
839 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I came to this thread only because I wondered what in the heck a Blue Flea was. Now I've read the whole thing, and it was fascinating -- both in regard to the stamp itself and the knowledge of Rod and the other posters. This is why I love stamp collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally finished my BLUE FLEA pages,as many of you know I am a worldwide collector and not a German expert ,I used the information that many of you posted here .....so this is what it looks like ....

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the second page ,remember this is my first try and if I get a bunch more FLEAS ,then I will re do these pages neater ,but this is the first lay-out.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
839 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, floortrader! Question: Were you inspired to collect the Blue Flea by this thread?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the positive note . I had two or three in my main collection .But did have a few dozen in my German stock books ,never did anything with them until I seen this discussion .
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hunter3rd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several of these blue fleas. What makes the million dollar one special? The perfs on one of mine is 13 I believe. I'll have to dig out my others.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31295 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Missed floortrader's posting.
Nice work!

Valued Member
United Kingdom
363 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a fat envelope and a few bundles of these things, that I plan to sort 'one day'. I wonder if everyone does?

Right now I'm sorting perfs. on Switzerland Standing Helvetias. Quite lucrative (on a cat. value basis, anyway). Rather more so than these fleas!
Pillar Of The Community
3358 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My flea infestation:

Doubt I ever get driven to sort them all out.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 11,030Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05