Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scissor-cut Perforations

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 12/02/2010   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rod222, I will treasure it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampbyur to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about this: You have a stamp. It grades Superb. Margins aren't even a hair wider,right,left top,bottom. No disturbance or discoloration of the gum at all. Paper is white (given that's the color it's supposed to be) & clean all the way around. No stains or discoloration at all. The ink color is rich & strong, probably one of the first stamps printed from the plate or coil after the ink was applied. The stamp has no faults at all, not the minutest pinhole or tear, its perfectly flat. No signs of any kind of friction on the stamp - front or back. I think that covers it all. But there is one issue - the stamp has 3 or 4 long perfs. All the rest of the perfs. are perfect, i.e. of virtually the exact same length. Should one very carefully trim them to the length of the other perfs? One could even very carefully fold the long perfs. over, bend them back & forth & very carefully tear the long perfs. off, to the length of the others. Would is be a philatelic crime? Thanks for your response. - Johnny
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampbyur to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correction: ...bend them over back & forth...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampbyur, you leave them alone. It is far too easy to screw things up.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with hi-brasil on this. I find that one errant too-long perf to be annoying to my sense of symmetry, no doubt. I have tried everything to consistently and safely make it equal to all the others. Fold, fold, fold... tear. It is usually NOT long enough to fold (can you fold paper 1/2mm from its edge? I cannot consistently and symmetrically. Even if it is long enough to fold, fold, fold... tear, it often seems to not want to follow my wishes. So, for consistency's sake, I don't do this. I've tried putting the body of the stamp in a vise (with flat 'pincers') and rip off what sticks out - good luck trying to grab a 1/2mm piece of paper sticking out - but even if there is enough to grab, it tends to not tear symmetrically. Essentially, I usually end up resorting to cutting off what little still sticks out. I have tried 'scoring' the end of the perf with a razor blade and tearing along the 'score' - it still looks like it wasn't done naturally. I have tried multiple cuts with a razor to try and not cut it in one motion, to maintain the 'jaggedness' - it just looks like what it is: multiple clean-cuts.

I've been doing this for 50 years, and I have learned that the chances of screwing it up (or making it look like it's been doctored) are too great. Unless the errant long perf is FREAKISHLY long, I don't attempt anything. If it is FREAKISHLY long, I tend to try the clamp-the-body-of-the-stamp-and-fold-fold-fold-and-tear method. 99% of errant perfs don't qualify in my mind.

This 'problem' has taught me to embrace imperfection.

ETA: Maybe in a clamp and sandblast the perf that sticks out. Hmmmm….
Edited by mootermutt987 - 11/17/2019 5:22 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampbyur to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt987

Quite frankly I believe cutting them off clean would be OK. Informing anyone you sell or trade the stamp to. You could even take before & after pics if it was a stamp was of a high retail valuation. Your right about the difficulty of tearing off a very short length of perf. I also know that sometimes in our attempts to "fix" something it can be made worse. I certainly don't think it would be morally wrong. I also doubt that a rare stamp (as I described) was being auctioned off that disclosing that this has been done would have to much of an impact on it's final sale price. It might have an impact on stamps of lesser value, but again I think it's a rather trivial matter. What a about a rare stamp that was completely scissor cut? Undesirable yes - complete destruction of the stamps value - no . Sincerely - Johnny
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampbyur: welcome to the Forum.

As for your question, I have a few stamps with a few slightly longer perfs. All that means is the neighboring stamp(s) has a short perf or two, thus potentially reducing its value. I've left my stamps with longer perfs alone and as-is.

"What about a rare stamp that was completely scissor cut? Undesirable yes....." Desirability depends on the country. Early Portuguese India "native" issues often were scissor cut, even issues that had perforations. See the discussion in the Scott catalogue.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05