Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Farming/Agriculture On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 249 / Views: 72,850Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3790 Posts
Posted 01/03/2011   10:19 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! TJ
The natural sciences are what I am all about. Thus the reason why this topic of yours has really grabbed me. Even though I can no longer work in any of my industries in the area of natural science because of a life changing accident I still keep extending my knowledge in many ways in this very broad area that I love so much.
When it comes to the learning of natural sciences I have mixed a lot of different disciplines into a package that to me not many people have done and it all comes down to being able to convert it all into the next stage of our life's journey. My wife and I are going to make a fruit and vegetable forrest with an aquaculture type of ponding system that surrounds the property. It is well planned out. But that is it in a nut shell.
So with 10 years as stonemason and bricklayer as a trade. 10 years as a multi disciplined horticulturist with uni qualifications and a work place that pushed me into a huge broad based area of supervision in a large way. To top it off the last area I worked in was oyster farming for 5 year until my accident.
So this is something else that I am very passionate about. This gives a brief explanation on why your theme is so interesting to me. Happy stamping John.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 01/06/2011   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add T.J. to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

i am glad my topic has grabbed a few people especially you.because it looks like I am going to need alot of help I had no idea it would be this big of a topic.

you where a mason?my dad was a stone mason & bricklayer for 30+ years.so I have mixed my share of mud and carried many bricks and blocks in my time.so much so I picked an easier profession of farming shows how smart I am dont it?

i may have some horticulture questions for you I am about to set up a greenhouse but haven't pinned down what I am going to grow.

thanks again,
T.J.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/11/2011   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a few lying around.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32846 Posts
Posted 03/11/2011   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting to note on an Australian rural scene,
Agricultural shows in local towns now
do not have pig judging contests anymore. (WA)

30 years ago, most farmers would run a small
herd of pigs, not so today, mechanisation
and specialty pig farming has taken away the motivation.

Kids will have to remain thinking bacon is made in plastic packs.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 03/11/2011   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I will just thinking along the same lines...we get further and further away from nature....when I was growing up people were a lot more self sufficent...now if you take the supermarket and the restaurant away people would be in a panic !! I grew up slaughtering animals for our food...nowadays people would think its criminal !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If farming, than Ceres must have a place here.

Ceres (roman) or Demeter (greek), but if mythology, than Rod will surely explain

Quote:
You guys are fairly disgusting,

but you cannot beat Cronus, Rhea's husband,
He ate all his children,
Cronus was able to chow down on Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia and
Poseidon as soon as they were born.

Rhea was albeit a bit slow, but she cottoned on,
and when Cronus tried to eat Zeus, Rhea included
a rock in swaddling, so Cronus vomited up the kids.

Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France, sowing & Ceres

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32846 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thinking outside the box, Wadmalatz !...Ceres indeed.

I unashamedly nicked that piece from an author
in Perths TV guide, name escapes me
She could crack some amazing yarns.

That was a piece regarding "mothers Day"

Update : (thnk goodness I keep all my junk)

It was Michelle Phillips...raconteur extraordinaire.

Edited by rod222 - 03/12/2011 05:44 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32846 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ceres or Demeter, possibly the most celebrated woman on stamps
after QE2

Demeter is an earth goddess; her name is De=earth (the same word as Gaia) and
meter=mother. She is the goddess of growing things, especially of grains like wheat
and barley and millet.
Her daughter, Persephone, is the grain itself, so Demeter is the earth giving birth to
the grain.

Mythologically, Demeter is the sister of Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, and Hera, and so, like
them, she is the daughter of Gaia and Kronos, Earth and Time. This makes a lot of
sense for a goddess of growing crops, because that is exactly what produces crops:
earth and time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The farmer's daughter.

Edited by smauggie - 03/12/2011 09:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Growing wheat in the Amazon jungle.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am changing religions..plus I like to eat in Greek diners ..their coffee is always super and they just keep refilling your cup...thats in the United States...i do not remember anyone in Europe refilling my cup 3 or 4 times !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32846 Posts
Posted 03/12/2011   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Of course there is the famous Ceres of 1849 France,
I am of the opinion the designer / engraver JJ Barre,
imitated a design from a coin from Carthage.

From a genealogy point of view, that just knocks me out.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/13/2011   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil: Your religion does not allow you to eat in Greek diners?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 03/13/2011   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a GB stamp from 2010 celebrating the "Land Girls" of WWII. These were women who, with the menfolk away fighting, worked on farms to help keep the country self-sufficient in food.

I have been saving this stamp for you, TJ! Now you have reached the Magic 50 posts, email me your address and I'll post you some agriculture stamps.

I noticed reading through the thread that one or two other members have offered to do the same, so your collection should get a boost soon!

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 249 / Views: 72,850Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05