Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-soakable - Unsoakable USA Stamp Image List

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to start a thread to compile a visual list onsite of Non-soakable USA stamps. I'm a very visual thinker and as I sort US stamps it would be nice to browse a list quickly and visually to easily ID stamp piles I should avoid throwing in the water and possibly damaging them.

I would like to keep the thread straight forward, clean, and simple
A year, Scott # or Micheal # if available and a clear stamp image.

I know there are a few sites out there that have some similar soak don't soak lists but they require a lot of clicking to browse each stamp by name.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Edwin - 12/12/2010 7:23 pm

Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue Type: Definitive
Issue Date: January 16, 2009
Issue Series: Priority Mail

Scott #4378

Note: entire stamp thinned back peeled off when I soaked it and tried to remove it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Edwin - 12/12/2010 7:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4621 Posts
Posted 12/12/2010   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great idea Edwin and it will be very useful.

Why don't catalogues start listing these Unsoakables?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4569 Posts
Posted 12/13/2010   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the catalogue publishers state the type of gums used for the different issues and I think that is simply to make you, the reader aware and that you be the judge so to speak. Having said this though, I have to agree with lithograving and say that it would be nice if the catalogue publishers did start at least listing 'risk factors' for the newer issues when it comes to soaking. It would surely make life a lot easier <G>.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 12/16/2010   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never soak the self adhesive stamps. I use Ronsonol (naptha). Apply it to the back of the paper and it will loosen the stamp. Remove the stamp, apply more Ronsonol and gently wipe with a paper towel to remove the adhesive. I place the stamp on a small piece of plexiglass while wiping to keep from wrinkling the stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/16/2010   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find this link quite useful, as they identify known stamps that cannot be soaked off paper (red light); may need special treatment to soak off (yellow paper) or can be soaked off without diffiuclty (green light).

http://www.virtualstampclub.com/2010usnew.html
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 12/18/2010   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes but involves a lot of clicking to expand each area. I wanted a thread where I could scroll thru, like here.
I suppose I have better things to do then reinvent the wheel. but I may come back to this idea.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 09/24/2012   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JanS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am soaking the self-adhesive stamps to get most of the paper off. Then drying thoroughly (overnight or longer).

Then I am using Ronsonol, soaking the stamps in it for a couple of minutes, and then using a ruler to scrape the back gently (as shown in the You Tube video). White residue of glue with sometimes a bit of remnant paper is rolling off the back, but most of the stamps are still sticky after the Ronsonol evaporates.

I've gone over some of them twice/three times, and there is minimal improvement, if any, with the subsequent repetitions.

I've also tried using paper towel instead of the ruler, but since most of them are definitives, the paper towel is rather bulky on such a tiny area.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this isn't working?
Edited by JanS - 09/24/2012 1:51 pm
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
Posted 09/24/2012   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Badge56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Us stamps are the worst. What I do is afetr they have dried I sprinke talcum power all over the backs. Keeps them from stining to them selves. Works pretty good.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 09/25/2012   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigselig to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I regularly use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove the modern self-adhesives from paper. It's a good all-around solvent, costs maybe $20 a gallon at the hardware store. Some collectors probably already have some sitting in their garage. And then yes, with a putty knife, scrape off the goopy glue, and for good measure, immerse the stamp alone in the mineral spirits, and then rub lightly on some white paper to remove the last residue of gum. Then let dry for 15-30 minutes, as you work your way through the rest of the pile of stubborn stamps. Ventilate the room well, and use some plastic gloves (also available at your hardware store), to keep the mineral spirits from soaking into your skin. I use a pair of tongs to handle the stamp as I'm pulling the paper off the back of the stamp. Experiment with it, and ruined self-adhesives will be a thing of the past.

4 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drf10961 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Citrus Orange on my us stamps. I spray the back of the paper and let soak for a minute then I use my stamp tongs to gentle slide under the stamp. Then I give the gum side another light spray. I lay the stamp face sown on a smooth surface and gently scrape of the gum with an old credit card or something with a nice sharp edge. I let dry for a few minutes the lift the stamp off the surface and let it dry on an old dish towel. This system works very well except the cancel ink sometimes bleeds through to the back of the stamp. I have done many hundreds of stamps this way and have only ruined 2 or 3. Using Citrus Orange smells a whole lot better than mineral spirts, but you do need to ventilate the area you are working in.
4 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drf10961 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do agree that using latex gloves is a must. The citrus Orange will dry out your hands greatly. I but my Citrus Orange in the grocery store, in the air freshener section.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05