Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welsh Patagonia 1965 Cinderella

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 5,147Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cjd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought first, asked questions later.

I was hoping it might be a local, and that it wasn't one of the many Welsh fantasy issues floating around. Looks to be neither. Turns out it was issued by a Welsh settlement in Patagonia for their centennial. Apparently, the settlement was founded in 1865. Purely a cinderella label, it seems.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bought first, asked questions later.

That's normal, isn't it?
(standard practice for moi)

Argentina: patagonian Ram

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/08/2011 5:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6191 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Rod, you brought back memories with that scan.
I remember the postings as though it were yesterday.

Funny days. Maybe I should reproduce all the story here, just for fun.

[I think the first half is here already-must check]

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In some circles of local post collecting it is considered a local post.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35165 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That is an interesting vignette for mine,
it shows the clipper Mimosa at anchor, with every sail
furled.
Of the thousands of ship vignettes, I have never seen one so.

I was born in Somerset which originally was "South Wales"

The story is very similar to the Utopian settlement
in Paraguay of "New Australia"

Wiki:.....

The Mimosa was a clipper ship best known for carrying the first Welsh emigrants to South America in 1865.

By the time Mimosa made the voyage she was already past her prime, having been built in 1853 at Hall's shipyard in Aberdeen. She had not been designed to carry passengers, but had been converted for the purpose. The cost of fitting provisioning and chartering the ship was 2,500 and the passengers paid 12 per adult or 6 per child for the journey. [1]

Before the voyage the emigrants assembled at various points, not always their places of origin, to prepare for the journey, including Aberdare, Birkenhead and Mountain Ash.

Mimosa sailed from Liverpool, England on May 28, 1865 to Patagonia, South America with a group of about 153 passengers with Captain George Pepperell and a crew of 18. Thomas Greene, an Irishman from Kildare, had been appointed as ship's surgeon. They landed on July 28, 1865 and named their landing site Porth Madryn. They were met by Edwyn Cynrig Roberts and Lewis Jones who had already arrived in Patagonia in June 1865 to prepare for the arrival of the main body of settlers.

Their aim was to establish a Welsh colony which would preserve the Welsh language and culture. The proposed site for the colony was in the Chubut River valley. On September 15, 1865 the first town in the Chubut colony was named Rawson, and the settlers went on to build the settlements at Gaiman and Trelew.

The exact number of emigrants who sailed out to Patagonia on the Mimosa remains uncertain. Although one of the original settlers, Richard Jones (Berwyn), maintained a register of births, marriages and deaths for many years, most of these original records were lost in the great flood in the Chubut Valley in 1899.

In 1875 the Argentine government granted the Welsh settlers ownership of the land which encouraged hundreds of others from Wales to join the colony.

The colony became known, in Welsh, as Y Wladfa.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In some circles of local post collecting it is considered a local post.

Thanks for that...I'll have to search out one or two of those circles. The two places I found were similar enough in their discussion of this as a label that I stopped looking.

It'd be nice if it performed some postal function.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 5,147Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05