Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kitchen Utensils On Stamps?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 13,741Next Topic
Page: of 6
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this article rather entertaining on the upcoming U.S. issue for the "Pioneers of American Industrial Design", specifically depiting tableware.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cit...ver_a_ne.php

You'll note they believe this to be the only U.S. stamp ever issued with such a theme...just wondering if any other countries have used kitchen utensils on their stamps?

I doubt it will ever garner much interest as a topical collection, but "firsts" in philately always make headlines.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would make an easy topical collection for the beginner.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think you should be cognisant of using
the correct nomenclature.

"Tableware" differs from "Kitchen Utensils"

Kitchen utensils was addressed earlier
with a favourite design of mine, known in
Australia as a "Sunbeam mixmaster"
This is a utensil, but not tableware.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The use of the term "utensils" was based on the content of the article link, specifically:

Quote:
According to Paul Oelkrug, coordinator for special collections at the University of Texas at Dallas, home to one of the nation's top philatelic libraries, the nation's never before issued a stamp with utensils on it.
Valued Member
Israel
206 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seahorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1,

Here's Israel's "Food" set from the year 2000 depicting Israeli food but also includes the recipe on the tab and the kitchenware used for the preparation of each dish:

Chhers,

Avi
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6191 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Felafel......yummy !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the Tole coffee and tea pots. utensils?

<edit> tho I would call them coffee servers and biscuit tins. Teapots have a different size ratio.
Edited by bfranton - 01/09/2011 2:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Tableware.

The dishes, glassware, and silverware used in setting a table for a meal.

Utensils: That which is employed in preparing a meal.

I see I may have irritated some with clarification,
I thought is was worthy of note, but perhaps it was
the delivery.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222: If you may be referring to my previous post, please understand there is no "irritation" or otherwise felt on my part. I was merely pointing out the term used within the article which is what prompted me to title this post the way I did. Perhaps country-to-country there is some adjustment to the specific meaning of "utensils" as you pointed out.

Perhaps the best thing would have been to use the exact reference that is to appear on this upcoming stamp: Not tableware, dishware or utensils ... but flatware!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2011   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would also echo sentiments... no offense ment or intended; it's the medium. Abrupt, misunderstood.

The genre of Tole (ware) refers to it as utensil... because it was either painted on basic wood or tin to be more "decorative". The container so painted was formerly a utilitarian utensil.

Knives, forks, spoons are considered the original utensils, with forks to very early Greece; Spoons to Paleolithic times.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys :)
no I was referring to Xnbr "slice and dice"
I guess my post appears pedantic but philately is about
splitting hairs and learning sometimes.
I saw the image of the stamps as "tableware"
and thought if someone were creating a thematic
it would be in error including utensils.

I still could have worded it better.

The original author was at fault really, using utensils.

A case in point, if one were to use McDonald's restaurants,
you would see utensils but not tableware :)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1814 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow!

There's always something new.

I was previously thinking perhaps the first knives
on stamps were Chinese.
The issue that had "knife money" as the vignette. circa 1950

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37513 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I was searching the old hazy memory for
further tableware, and could only think of George Jensen
the silverware craftsman.
In searching sweden, I came across those lovely
scans by lithograving of heaps of glassware manufacturing,
engravings by slania.

In amongst them was this one of UTENSILS on stamps,
the biscuit cutter and pie dish

Valued Member
Israel
206 Posts
Posted 01/10/2011   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seahorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some more:

Hong Kong 2002:

Sweeden 2005:

Island 2005:

Korea:

Singapore 2006:

I'm sure there are many many more. but it needs a bit of a research....
Edited by Seahorse - 01/10/2011 12:25 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 13,741Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05