Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

bullseye and socked on nose cancels  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1660 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@bookbndrbob - that postmark from 'Glittre Sanatorium' must be rather rare. Funny they had their own hammer at such a tiny place all until 1984. I guess that was just before the Postal Services started the savings campaign and reduced number of Post Offices from 1000's and 1000's to....very few
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blaamand, I have always wondered about the "Glittre Sanatorium" circular date stamp. Would this have been applied at the institution's mail room, or at a stand-alone postal facility in the nearby community?
Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/15/2018 4:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1660 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glittre started off as a minor office in 1945. The title was 'Poståbneri', litterally meaning a place for 'opening mail' - allowing doctors to open letters - for the patients, I would think! It later got more formalised as a branch post office operated by staff at the sanatorium, however nothing is said that it did ever move from the Sanatorium - so I will think it remained at the institution until closure in 1991. I think this tiny post office was offered as a service to allow chronically ill patients (that lived permanently at this place) to be able to communicate.
Details: http://kulturnav.org/2d950058-2b78-...aece695a89f0
Fascinating
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Blaamand! Great information and a very nice link.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Limassol, on the southern coast, is Cyprus's second largest urban area. Nicosia is larger.

Valued Member
Mexico
171 Posts
Posted 05/30/2018   03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rtvstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arrived today my Maximilian cover from Mexico with bullseye cancellation from San Luis Potosi

Regards!
Rodolfo
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 06/13/2018   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Pamplemousses District is in the heavily populated northwestern section of Mauritius island.

The name "Pamplemousses" means grapefruits in the French language. The area is named for the grapefruit trees the early Dutch colonizers planted there.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 07/01/2018   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Bavarian cancel is very confusing. There is no town named Walhallastrasse. It is the street address of the post office "Regensburg 4." Perhaps this canceller was for local mail only.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23866 Posts
Posted 07/01/2018   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have come across this before, the Post Office named as the street in which it resides.
I cannot recall the country.

Your Pmk
https://www.stampsx.com/ratgeber/st...suche_typ=K2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 07/01/2018   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. Nice link.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 07/04/2018   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 2 old style (3 lines, unframed) Bahnpost/RPO cancels from Germany.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 07/04/2018   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two examples from my NSW De La Rue collection. The stamp on the left is cancelled by a Sydney dumb obliterator (Granfield type 8e) and the one on the right has been cancelled by the right portion of the Pearson Hill Parallel Motion machine (White type M3)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2888 Posts
Posted 07/15/2018   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found in a lot,

Per Wiki, Coonabarabran's name has an interesting story:

"Nobody really seems to know the source and meaning of the word Coonabarabran. It may derive from a person's name or from the Kamilaroi language word 'gunbaraaybaa' meaning 'excrement', translated earlier as meaning, 'peculiar odour', this possibly is a bowdlerisation. Another meaning is derived from an Aboriginal word for 'inquisitive person'. 'Coolabarabran' was the name of a station owned by James Weston in 1848"

Sometimes, I don't know if I trust Wiki.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 07/16/2018   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch! Humanitarian Albert Schweitzer has literally been socked on the nose by the coat of arms of Schleswig-Holstein.

Nieblum is a small village on the North Frisian island of Foehr (pronounced 'fair').

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1744 Posts
Posted 07/21/2018   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This quinti-lingual (English, Spanish, German, Italian, and French) cancellation of Medellin touts Colombian coffee as the "best, mild coffee".

Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/21/2018 1:30 pm
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05