Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Vanchester to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
K.B. BAHNPOST. FUESSEN-KAUFB.
18 JUL 17

This is an Imperial Bavarian Bahnpost/rail post (t.p.o.) cancel from 1917. Mail route was Fuessen to Kaufbeuren.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
897 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia 1961 Christmas stamp, Sc. 342
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A recent eBay acquisition. Nothing special, I just liked it .

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two Serbian 5 para (Michel #22) stamps from the 1880 King Milan IV series. On the left is KNJAZEVAC, and on the right is BEOGRAD MINISTARSTVO.

Knjazevac is a town of 18,404 inhabitants in the Zajecar district of eastern Serbia (Wikipedia).

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/18/2020 5:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MAIGH NUAD

Maigh Nuad (English = Maynooth) is a town of 14,585 inhabitants. It is located in the north of County Kildare, in the northeast of the country.

Wikipedia, "Maynooth comes from the Irish Maigh Nuadhat, meaning "plain of Nuadha."...Nuadha was one of the gods of the ancient Irish, corresponding to Nudd of Wales and Nodens of ancient Britain and Gaul." Nuadha was the Celtic god of war.

From godchecker.com, "He...owns a magic Sword of Unbeatableness which nearly slices all enemies into two and renders the wielder invincible."

The "14283" code under the value signifies the date of purchase as the year 2014, day 283. The 283rd day was October 10, 2014, the same day the stamp was postmarked.

Second pic shows an 1886 print of Maynooth castle (Wikipedia).

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/22/2020 4:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

2004 Shrek and Donkey on Scott U.S. #3617

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 02/24/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
VLASOTINCI
24.VI.07

This is a Serbian King Peter I stamp postmarked Vlasotinci. The town name seems to have changed a little over the past 100 years. During Yugoslavian times, it was Vlastinci, and now it appears to be Vlasotince.

From Wikipedia, "Vlasotince is a town and municipality located in the Jablanica District of southern Serbia. As of 2011, the municipality has 29,669 inhabitants, while the town itself has a population of 15,830 inhabitants...After the Turks were forced out of Serbia, locals started growing wine grapes as a kind of complementary business to their building activities. They made Vlastonice the number one wine region in the former Yugoslavia, and furthermore the biggest wine exporter in the Balkans."

Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A beauty sock-on-the-nose cancel from my home town -- Utica, N.Y., pearl of the Mohawk Valley!.I haven't lived there since the 20th Century, but I do recall hearing about Chas. Millar & Son when I did live there. Wonder if that firm still exists...

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's a beauty, as is the one Philb posted. Keep them coming.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GARNSEE

The only type of cancellation listed for the town of Garnsee during the post-WWI plebiscite period is the Swiss-type CDS shown here on Marienwerder Mi.#13. Garnsee is now the Polish village of Gardeja, population 2500.

From Wikipedia, The village of Garnsee is mentioned in a document in 1323. A little while later, on October 4, 1334, the town of Garnsee was founded by Bertold von Riesenburg, Bishop of Pomerania; it was called Garzanum in the document foundation...Garnsee has been a town during the time span 1334-1945, and lost city rights after World War II, when it became part of Poland.

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add restoman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of my favorites:

Paquebot Liverpool J, dated May 4, 1926

On French Guinea, 50 centimes, Scott # 88.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp, canceled at Victoria on the Maltese island of Gozo, is what I cite as my "Holy Grail" of a sock-on-the-nose cancel when I am communicating with prospective traders to seek stamps for my "Gazetteer Collection" of worldwide places-of-cancel, of which I have more than 71,000 at the moment.
Victoria, known to Maltese as Rabat, is the capital city of Gozo island and had a population of 6,901 in 2014. It contains many historic sites and relics.
I look up every place-of-cancel I have and so vicariously "visit" the town that I will likely not actually get to in my lifetime. Great fun for me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
897 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EdziuMM:

The Gozo cancel is, indeed, a real beauty!

Don
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05