Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 885 / Views: 138,138Next Topic
Page: of 59
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4649 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
's-HERTOGENBOSCH (Netherlands)
15 MRT (March) 88
3-4 N (p.m.)

Here is an 1888 cancellation of 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands and a modern 's-Hertogenbosch machine cancellation for comparison. This is the second largest city in the country (150,000+ inhabitants) and it is the capital of the province of North Brabant. City is also known as "Den Bosch".

From wikipedia, "The city's official name is a contraction of the (archaic) Dutch 'des Hertogen bosch'...the forest of the duke. The duke in question was Henry I of Brabant, whose family had owned a large estate at nearby Orthen for at least four centuries."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/31/2020 5:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   10:53 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I have found some SOTN stamps from my collection to post.

Scott 65 with a Philadelphia CDS

Scott 65 with a Star in Box (S/E ST-S 19, New York)

Scott 65 with UNION Star (S/E ST-C 14, West Hampton, MA)

Scott 65 with "Seeing Eye" on cover from Woodstock, CT (Unlisted)

147, "Bullseye" or "Target"

One of my favorites, not technically SOTN on stamp, but pair!

How about an Airmail?

Don't know anything about this GB, but like it! Says "AXMINSTER M.O. & S.B."

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
536 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alanl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yarrow, British Columbia. Located just a bit east of Metro Vancouver.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
72 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ann ordinary Anvers Depart postmark from Belgium. However it is the first cancel that I've ever found from Belgium where the month, FEVR, is upside down in relation to the rest of the circular date stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1300 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pretty
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4649 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a modern supplementary/revenue protection cancel as used in modern (1981) Austria. It is just 3 vertical wavy lines inscribed in a circle...but much nicer than a ballpoint pen, or sharpie scrawl.

Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a date that went by and you probably didn't even notice it....July Zero!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4649 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe these are precancels for mass mailings.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, thank you!
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great thread! At first I thought it was brand new, but I see 57 pages! I'll spend some time today paging through all of it, but what I've seen so far is way cool! As someone who has spent years buying and walking through dozens (I've never counted, but it has to be at least over 100) remnant albums looking to fill holes and upgrade existing stamps when possible, I also pull out any neat cancels along the way. I'll show quickly taken images of my more recent set; not sure where the larger, older set is filed, but I'll find those too. Let me figure out how to insert an image ... I see I need to work on some focus issues (more my photo prep) ... will do better next time.

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 59 Previous TopicReplies: 885 / Views: 138,138Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05