Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 886 / Views: 139,556Next Topic
Page: of 60
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob - what additional information would you like? I could print the country of origin and denomination, but that should be self-evident. I posted how I came to acquire so many of these (and I skipped some and have a larger set somewhere) in my original post. Other than the images, what else would you like to see offered?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4737 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A picture with no information is a picture, even when quickly done with poor lighting. Beyond that, it provides no insights/interest on the part of the person posting it. It does little to stimulate interest, or learning in the viewer. This is just my opinion.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The French postal workers have fun, I think, socking on the nose:

Here is the 2016 airmail issue honoring celebrated pilot and aircraft designer Édouard Nieuport with a 2020 cancellation from Bouxwiller, Bas-Rhin (Alsace). Looks as though the clerk was zeroing in on the pilot! Nieuport was not killed in aerial combat, however. He was thrown from his racing plane in 1911.
Sc. C79 Y&T PA80.

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would seem to me that the OP wanted to 'see' what others had. And mostly (after viewing many pages) I've seen images with no descriptions, or uninspirational verbiage added. There are exceptions, and that is fine, I'm all for that. I believe my images with (usually) no text fit in the spirit of the thread and hence I will continue to post this way. Which is just my opinion.

Fortunately, I guess, I've imaged and posted most of what I have handy. Unless I can find my larger stash, I'm out. But if I do find them, please expect more of the same.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another exemplar of the clerk's art, also cancelled in Bouxwiller, Bas-Rhin. This is one of two of the March 2020 Stamp Day issues from France, both featuring Peugeot autos. This one showing a 404 Berline model produced back in the 1960's being Y&T 5390 I believe. I do not know of a Scott number as of yet.

The cancel aimed right at the front grille of the car, rather than the center of the stamp, much less the center of the mini-sheet. Great fun to get this in the mail. My wife was moved to remark "what great stamps!"

Edited to add that the Peugeot sign at the top of the sheet is in a metallic, slightly reflective silver which shows nicely under angular light. Looks bland with straight on light from the scanning process.

I too like to see at least year of issue and an identifying number in posts. For any members who are topical collectors, this information can help them in acquisition should they run into a stamp of interest through serendipity in a thread such as this.... My 2 cents.
Edited by jleb1979 - 08/16/2020 2:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knick1959!
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/19/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty excited! I found my large stash of older Bullseye cancels! I will at least try to use better light and a steadier hand when imaging these. And I'll only post the better ones, but I see several that meet that criteria right at the top of the stack!

Is there a general rules as to what percentage of the main cancel should be on the stamp to call it a "bullseye". I save them if they are close and I like them.

"The Stack" until I can get around to posting single images (as I transfer to a stockbook):

Edited by knick1959 - 08/19/2020 2:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm back! Still haven't fit the hoard (previous post) completely into the stockbook, but I migrated some of the better ones to a first page. After imaging about a dozen and cropping/scaling I realize, while better light, I still need to improve my process. Posting 4 images that I deem passable as images while I setup for better starting images. I thought I'd try the scanner instead, but having to scan a letter/page to email to someone, find the scanner to be rendering terrible dark bands. I'll be looking for a standalone new scanner!

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very light postmark, but it is fully contained.

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   7:44 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a great strike but pretty much on the nose.
Might have posted this one already if so, sorry.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
643 Posts
Posted 09/03/2020   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some Belgian Congo ones:

Kinshasa, Banana and Boma.

Kigoma and Usumbura.

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just got this one in the mail today. It was done on the nosey.
Edited by eraserman - 09/15/2020 4:14 pm
Page: of 60 Previous TopicReplies: 886 / Views: 139,556Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 17.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05