Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 981 / Views: 147,817Next Topic
Page: of 66
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This time a single from British Columbia in Canada.

A SON cancel from Nanaimo dated SP 22 44 on SG388 or Scott 262.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And a couple of early Austria with Fiume cancels:

The stamps and cancels look okay to me............

What do you think?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problems with those. Do I see inking flaws on the right side of the crown and second "E" of "STEMPEL" of the 9kr value?

Bahamas Scott# 33:

Danzig Bavaria Scott# 179:

***Updated***
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/20/2021 8:59 pm
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do I see inking flaws on the right side of the crown and second "E" of "STEMPEL" of the 9kr value?"

Yes, that stamp is missing part of the crown and the 'E' is weak.

I don't have a catalogue that has any information about that though.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 02/21/2021   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the last one for today.

A big block of stamps from Switzerland.......

Well, at least some of the stamps in the block have SON cancels.

The block is a 10 x 5 block of the 3f stamp from the 1908 Helvetia series (Zumstein 116 or Scott145) with a bunch of Geneve 16 X 11 'Gazettes' (Newspaper) CDS's.

The person doing the cancelling must have been at it a while.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 02/22/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
melbourne yankee, many thanks for that. I've seen a couple single franc values with that cancel and was puzzled. But I can at least guess now that these were used to confirm payment of postage for a large mailing of magazines or suchlike.

From Senegambia and Niger:

Niamey (now in Niger) and Bamako (now in Mali) are large cities, so nothing rare about those cancels. It's just the country's stamps are fairly hard to find despite being such a large entity. There was just the one set ever issued.

After scanning, I worried that the 75c was a Hirschburger forgery, but it's just a heavily inked stamp. Anyone have any Hirschburger forgeries for the country?
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So a few more...............

From Papua comes a block of four of the 9d from the 1932 - 1940 issue with a SAMARAI E.D 18 JY 37 SON cancel. SG138.

Best of all the block is a John Ash Imprint block of four............

Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Staying in the same country is a Lakatoi issue with another SON cancel from SAMARAI E.D. with a 8 DE 30 SON cancel (late date I know), but with a variety of "POSTACE" at right. SG95d.

And the above variety:

Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And not to forget the USA. The cancels from the USA are really hit and miss and finding some decent ones are sometimes quite difficult.

Lots of messy, ugly, and mute cancels on US stamps.

This is a Plate Block of four (Plate S1) of Scott 2592 Washington and Jackson $5 issue with a SON cancel of May 24 1996 from Pine Ridge SD.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the last one for today.

Years ago I was a member of the Bullseye Cancel Club for a short time before it shut down and was lucky enough to buy a few stamps in one of their auctions. Now I wish that I had bought more...........

This is, of course, CTO, but what a beautiful stamp and cancel.

Scott 1909, US$9.35 Eagle and Moon with a Kennedy Space Center SON Aug 12, 1983 FDI cancel.

One of my favorite modern USA stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indochina Scott# 54:

A faulty stamp, but still worth having. Lang Son is right up on the northern border with China.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about a few from Great Britain?

A one shilling green with no corner letters with a SON "800" numeral cancel.

I believe that the numeral cancel is from Tiverton.

Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one really isn't a SON cancel as can be seen in the post, but the cancel is nice and the stamp is in very good condition.

It is also a wing margin which allowed the ful numeral cancel to show up on the stamp. GB 8p, Plate One, SG 156.

Numeral cancel is from Huddersfield.

Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last from from GB is a nice SON cancel from SLIGO on a 4p stamp dated DE 4 77. Plate 15.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys have been killing it the last few pages. It's probably been years? since I've added something to this thread, but it still delivers.
Page: of 66 Previous TopicReplies: 981 / Views: 147,817Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05