Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 981 / Views: 147,808Next Topic
Page: of 66
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/25/2021   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Belgium Scott 204 (1929):

The stamp has a "pub" attached, an advertising label. Both come from a booklet, accounting for the trimmed perfs at top. 2 labels, one on top of the other, plus four stamps made up a booklet pane for this value.

Persil, the modern washday miracle of the time, still exists. It was owned by Lever Brothers around that time and is now owned by a German company.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/25/2021 4:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British Honduras Scott 13 (1884):

nice clean strike of the usual A06 killer
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ireland Scott 103 (1939):

Rather light strike here reading WOODFORD / Co. GALWAY. It had a population of 239 in 2016.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Three SON cancels on Austria postage due stamps. All from the former Bohemia region and now in the Czech Republic. (I think........)

First is from WICHSTADTL which is now Mladkov population is about 500 people according to Wikipedia.

The second is from ROKYCAN/ROKYCANY. Not sure about this one as there are two towns mentioned one in Slovakia and another in the Czech Republic. I think the Czech Republic is the right one.

And the last is from SAAZ. This I think is the former name of the current town of Zatec.

This area is famous for Saaz noble hops!!
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 03/26/2021   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"nice clean strike of the usual A06 killer"

Nice!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/30/2021   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More nice ones, melbourne_yankee!

Rhodesia & Nyasaland Scott 175 (1960)

Here, it's BROKENHILL but the name is also given as Broken Hill and BrokenHill. The magpie mind recalls there is a Broken Hill in New South Wales, Australia. Sure enough, there is a mine here and the city was named for the Australian mining city.

This is now Kabwe in Zambia.
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/30/2021 03:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 03/30/2021   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France Scott 1813 (1982)

Sainte Suzanne, Reunion. Reunion is now part of France and no longer a colony. 974 is the first part of the post code.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Latvia Scott 73 (1920)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/03/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
South Africa Scott 1 (1910)

So, is anyone up for a project of #1s with socked-on-thge-nose cancels? This is about as far as I probably can get, though a Penny Black might be a possibility.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago I was able to purchase a couple of lots of Austria postal material with postcards and covers at the big Melbourne stamp club auction before the professional dealers wised up and bought the other lots at the next auctions.

I wanted to by a couple of more, but was outbid by another collector. His purchased lots had a bunch of material from the Levant and IMO he got a better deal.

Slowly going the through the stuff and maybe I'll get through it and maybe I won't. Lots of Pneumatic cards in the lot which need a lot of work.

I took out the ones I want to keep and here are a couple of them.

In 1900 Austria had a change of currency going from the silver backed kreuzer and gulden to the kronen and heller gold based standard. 1 kreuzer equalled 2 heller.

About the same time I think that the rates on postal items was changed with the postcard rate going from 2 kreuzer to 5 heller. (or in old currency 2 ˝ kreuzer).

As a result of shortages of 1 heller stamps bisects were authorized.

So 1 kreuzer stamps could be bisected and used as two 1 heller stamps.

Here are examples of two postcards with the 2 kreuzer imprints uprated with a bisected 1 kreuzer stamps to make the 5 heller rate.

Both also have socked on the nose cancels tying the stamps to the covers.

Philatelic?

Most likely, but nice examples of in period use.

The first cover has a 1 kreuzer stamps bisected and has a 9 1 00 SON cancel from Okrischko/Okrisko.

The second has a bisected 1 kreuzer postage due stamp with a SON 30 1 00 Schumburg cancel.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent additions to the topic. Offhand, do you know what was the period of validity for use of bisects?

Also, whenever you're in the mood, any pneumatic cards you might care to share would make a good thread. We have threads for the the US and Paris, France:
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=13845
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=25900

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
United States, Scott 601, 645, 657:

The last one is a very late usage, likely from philatelic mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France Scott J39 (1925):

French postage dues are often cancelled with a (mute) triangle in various sizes. This one has the letter A.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hungary Scott 379 (1921)

Orosháza is in southeast Hungary.

This shows the large format cds with St. Stephen's crown at top and a fleuron at the bottom. Elsewhere back in this thread is a later stamp with the downsized style of this elegant cancel.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/13/2021 8:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Malawi Scott 19 (1964)

LIMBE cancel on this Christmas stamp. Limbe is in southern Malawi.
Page: of 66 Previous TopicReplies: 981 / Views: 147,808Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05