Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullseye And Socked On Nose Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,104 / Views: 158,439Next Topic
Page: of 74
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
745 Posts
Posted 03/09/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Early spring cleaning, made me rediscover this one:

Upper Silesia block of 6 with:

Miechowitz, Kreis Beuthen, Oberschlesien.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two 1880s cancels from Finland. The single circle cancel (19-21 mm in diameter) is the most common type to find until the appearance of the double circle bridge and Swiss types from 1888 onward.

Jyvaskyla is the third largest city in Finland. Kimito is located on Kimito Island in the southwest of the country. In 2009, it was merged with two other municipalities on the island to form the municipality of Kimitoon.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to wiki Downpatrick is a town in Northern Ireland about 21 miles south of Belfast. It is said to be the burial place of St. Patrick.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2859 Posts
Posted 03/19/2022   04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seychelles:

Scott 41; ANSE ROYALE is on the major island of Mahé.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/19/2022   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see this thread continuing. A few more to add:

Danzig on Scott C19:

Canton on Hong Kong Scott 43:

A couple from India, Bombay Out on Scott 41:

and Cawnpore on Scott 42:

and wrapping up with two from New Zealand - Auckland on CP E12a:

and Noodville on Scott 170, the high value of the Victory set:

(Actually, it's Woodville, but...I can't unsee Noodville.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4003 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Birch's Bay, Tasmania on Australia Scott 30, ACSC 105. Cancelled possibly November 20, 1924. The current population of 93 so it would be interesting to know how many people were there almost 100 years ago.
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It must have been a really BAAAAAD day!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, this is a mailer's precancel.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/24/2022 11:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eastern Bush, appearing to be posted (or at least canceled) Christmas Eve, 1900, on New Zealand Sc89 (CP E9b):

The employee doing the perforating had had a bad day, but the postal clerk still managed to sock it pretty well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's almost like I'm replying to my own post...a couple more fun strikes:

An 1892 Zanzibar strike on a surcharged India. In Gibbons, this is SG Z74:

I always keep my eyes open for nice Falklands cancels. Usually, they end up being Port Stanley, but this one is pretty good, even if common:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 03/27/2022   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kleinschmalkalden, Germany

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 03/30/2022   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a bilingual cancelation from the WWI German occupation of Belgium. Cancel is SOIGNIES - ZINNIK 20.10.17 7-8N. Soignies is the French language name of the town, and Zinnik is the name in Dutch. Date is October 20, 1917, 7-8 p.m.

The Reichpost required the double postmarks on the larger, high value definitives to eliminate the possibility of reuse of pieced-together fragments.

The town is a Wallonia municipality in western central Belgium. The cancel is #1042 in Willy Van Riet's Catalogus der Afstempelingen van de Duitse Begetting in Belgie 1914-1918.. It was in use from October 1914 until October 10, 1918.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 04/10/2022   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This modern postmark from the Republic of Ireland reads BOTHAR BAILE AN STAPOGAIGH 2 and is dated 24.11.15. In the English language this is Staplestown Road, Carlow in Leinster Province in the southeast of the country.

Although there has been a dramatic consolidation of post offices in Ireland, this one is still open, apparently.

The only way I was able to find it is because several years ago someone listed a collection of new Irish/Gaelic postmarks on an Irish internet selling site (advert.ie) and this postmark was on a reference page included in their listing. According to the unidentified reference, this self-inking datestamp was first used on February 23, 1995.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 04/11/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more additions to this thread:

Not perfect, but, the clerk was probably sad to draw Christmas Day duty, so on balance, this was a pretty good strike. 25 December on Jamaica Sc24. I believe it's a Street Letter Box, Kingston cancel. Anyone have a different idea?

A few doing double duty here and in the Treaty Ports thread:

Shanghai on Hong Kong Sc44, from 16 April 1892, and then:

Canton on Edward VII, Sc93. Then a couple from the Western Australia thread:

Hines Hill on Sc103, palindromically canceled 12-11-12, and

a Perth parcels cancel on Sc96. Can I get a ruling on the year? 1910?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
Posted 04/11/2022   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the Jamaica stamp is definitely a Kingston Jamaica Street letterbox postmark. The year data in your other stamp could be 1913. At least that was my first impression.
Page: of 74 Previous TopicReplies: 1,104 / Views: 158,439Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05