Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar For Month And Day -Pics

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 339,246Next Topic
Page: of 138
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/12/2017   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A postcard and a cover today
The postcard is from Loleta, Humboldt's butter producer.
This is another of the Elgin Boyd correspondence, a couple of boys (Harold Elgin setting up a week-end of bike riding! I have 50+ cards from this family, from all over the Redwood Empire! Darn early post card collectors and their tape!

Today's cover is from Rio Dell, a Humboldt county office opened on Aug 14 1876, and used a manuscript postmark for their first nine years until the office got this device. The Williams book reports this town cancel, Hum-4240 with an EKU of Feb 4, 1886, my copy is a bit earlier 10 months, 21 days. Mailed March 12, 1885

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by littleriverphil - 03/12/2017 10:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/13/2017   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today's postcard from Elk is also from the Elgin/Boyd postcard group, this one from son Clyde as he makes his way to Salsig/Manzanitta south of Elk. Interesting message..

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/15/2017   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two Mendocino county cards today, Fort Bragg and Wendling.
Wendling, the town that stole a new name. Originally opened as Wendling on Dec 2 1902 and changed it's name to Navarro on Mar 19 1914.

Navarro was two other post offices, Navarro Ridge Aug 7 1867 to Nov 22 1888 when it was a stage stop, and Navarro Nov 23 1888 to Mar 31 1902 when it was the town at the mouth of the Navarro River. They were about 3 miles apart. When the mill at Navarro and its railroad were sold and moved to Wendling (11 miles up river) they took the name with the mill.

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_t...wendling.htm

The Fort Bragg card has had it's stamp peeled off, but left a good postmark. However, the other side of this card is a great view of the L E White mill in Elk. Especially of the 18 degree "horseshow" Howe Truss bridge that spans darned Elk Creek, the mill log pond. The Elk Creek Railroad built the only two Howe Truss bridges in the county. The curvature of the Elk Creek Howe truss bridge is clearly seen in this link.

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_r...we_truss.htm

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/15/2017 2:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/16/2017   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I have a card from Ukiah in Mendocino county and a cover from Fortuna in Humboldt county.
The picture side of the Ukiah card I believe is now under Lake Mendocino, formed by Coyote Dam northeast of Ukiah.

Eel River Valley Lumber's cc on this nice little cover from Fortuna,

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/17/2017   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A cover with a bank cc from Eureka is the only item I have for the day, rather roughly opened but didn't damage the indicia or Humboldt Count Bank's corner card.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/18/2017   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two postcards today, both from Mendocino county, Elk, with a logging view and Fort Bragg with a real photo.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/20/2017   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A single card from Elk this morning. The message side is from Clyde Boyd to his mom discussing work, the picture side shows a 32 foot crosscut saw, or a misery whip as they were known.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/21/2017   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two postcard today, one from each county.
A lovely street view of Fort Bragg's main street on this colorized card.

From Korbel up in Humboldt county comes an Easter greeting.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/22/2017   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Easter greetings from Caspar!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/23/2017   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another Caspar Easter card, a war rated card. An odd coincidence, it is addressed to someone with my mother's initial and maiden name, just about 10 months before she was born, 35 miles south in Point Arena. Made me look twice! But no, Mom's parents didn't know Miss E Hunter. I have other cards to her, when she is in Redwine

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/23/2017 3:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
29 Posts
Posted 03/23/2017   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add telchar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love seeing these. As a graduate of Humboldt State University it brings back many memories.

Ron
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/23/2017   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Humboldt and Mendocino are both rather difficult, a lot of the covers fall into nitches, Lumber Company corner cards, Railroad corners, fancy town cancels, Town and County CDS.

I use the John H. Williams book California Town Postmarks 1849-1935 as my guide. As published, Humboldt county listed 128 offices with a total of 495 postmarks, I have since found others not listed. Also have 52 new EKUs, between both counties.

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/23/2017 5:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catching up from yesterday, a very late cover for me, 1951, but it has the Fort Bragg newspaper corner card on it, and it came with the other FB Advocate cc. so here it is.

Today I have a new discovery, an unreported CDS from Maple Creek. Here are the listings in the Williams book for Maple Creek;

As you can see, there are three postmarks listed for Maple Creek, the first(Hum-3590 used from Jun 7 1889 to Feb 24 1900, and the next CDS Hum-3400 wasn't used until Apr 8 1911 to Dec30 1913, But they leave an 11 year gap in postmarks.
John. H Williams and the Western Cover Society provided for this sort of occurrence, each postmark skips 10 numbers to allow for new discovery's.

The CDS measures 28.5mm and 6L (distance from first letter of town to first latter of state in mm, This CDS now becomes HUM 3595, EKU Mar 25 1904.

Edited by littleriverphil - 03/25/2017 6:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/26/2017   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops! All excited about the about the Maple Creek cover and forgot these two Mckinleyville post cards.
Happy Easter!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/27/2017   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today's cover was missent from Orleans, and redirected from Boston. This cover is one of seven from this person to the addressee, over a year span of time. Another eBay seller who mentioned that
they had more like the one I just bought, and offered the rest... NOT likely to happen again any time soon!

Page: of 138 Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 339,246Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05