Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar For Month And Day -Pics

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 340,277Next Topic
Page: of 138
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2670 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks Bobby! Didn't expect results that quick!
Digging in real quick, I can show a May 5 cancel on cover from Eureka, Cal, sometime in the 1860's.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Neeskens13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love this thread. Thanks Bobbie and Phil.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2670 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My next cover with a May 5 postmark came from Dyerville. I have posted this cover previously, just catching myself up.

I have also posted this postcard from Fortuna, but didn't say much about the bridge pictured. This is Fernbridge, the longest concrete span STILL in use. It's 1320 feet across the span. Called the " Queen of Bridges" in 1911 when it was completed.

Here's another view

This bridge has withstood a 500 year flood in 1955 and a 1000 year flood in 1964, while Every other bridge across the Eel River was washed away.
Here's a link to wikipedia on Fernbridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernbridge_(bridge)

Edited by littleriverphil - 05/05/2021 12:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1294 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I drove across that bridge a couple times last summer on my way to Ferndale! It has steep ramps at either end, if I recall. I didn't realize how historic it was.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4474 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50 years in Humboldt and I did not know the concrete details. Even more impressive.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2670 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
50 years in Humboldt and I did not know the concrete details.

Nice one Randy.

In both the 1955 and the 1864 floods inundated the steep ramps on either end, but didn't harm them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2670 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote][In both the 1955 and the 1864 floods inundated the steep ramps on either end, but didn't harm them./quote]

Correction;
" In the 1955 Christmas Week flood, the flood waters measured 27.7 feet (8.4 m) deep at Fernbridge. The south side abutment was washed out, and the approach damaged.[4] During repairs the first end span was removed and an earthen embankment was built which shortened the bridge by about 20 feet."

From the link above.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2670 Posts
Posted 07/08/2021   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For July 8, I can show two postmarks, one on an UX7, and the other is a postcard, but a rather odd card. In fact, I have another card (Jul 22) that is quite similar, both seem to be advertisements for the described offering.

The UX7 is one man's registration in California's Great Register. Mailed from Ukiah to the county clerk in Humboldt County, it records that Charles March was 27 years old, a native of Ohio, and worked as a laborer in Little River, Mendocino County.

The other Jul 8 card was mailed aboard the Eureka & Scotia RPO from Fortuna. The author of the card apologized for using the card, an offer from The New Home Sewing Machine company.

I'll show that Jul 22 card as well. Sent from Northspur was this ad for a copy of the "Girl in Red". This was apparently included with a new pair of shoes?

Page: of 138 Previous TopicReplies: 2,063 / Views: 340,277Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05