Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ss Lusitania

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/07/2012   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd bring up this thread, as the R.M.S. Lusitania (the one that was torpedoed) was sunk 97 years ago today (May 7, 1915).

Do any SCF members have any postal related artifacts from that vessel?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wt1 - 05/07/2012 6:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6360 Posts
Posted 05/07/2012   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not an artifact from the vessel itself, but I do have this WWI anti-German label reminding folks about it.

This label has been shown here before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 05/08/2012   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite a powerful label. The image of the ship going down with the survivors in the water and the lifeboat bring tears to the eye. The figures on the right and left are devastated.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/08/2012   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently that Lusitania Cinderella was available in three colors as shown on this website:

http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=40601

They were also part of a se-tenant block of four:

Another Anti-German sentiment poster stamp of the period (which I found on the internet) that shows the sinking of the Lusitania as part of the poster stamp image:

Edited by wt1 - 05/08/2012 06:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 11/14/2015   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not that it's too important for us here, but the Lusitania was running only three of its boilers on its last crossing. If only all four stacks were spewing smoke and steam, the German submarine would not have arrived on time to sink her.
Valued Member
Switzerland
249 Posts
Posted 11/14/2015   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad this topic was back again, it was a very interesting reading.
Here is a 1912 cover I have.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 11/14/2015   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
codex, is that a ship board postmark? (I can't make out any of it.) I see the envelope is marked "late," so I'm assuming it made it to the ship at the last moment.

P.S. During the war, the Lusitania used to pick up mail from British picket ships at the edge of international waters. These ships remained at sea to ensure that interned German ships did not try to make a run for it out of New York.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My small contribution on cover front piece.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05