Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA "Golden Rule Society" Cinderella From The 1860's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,812Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
1089 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add filipo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There was a Golden Rule Society in the 1850 & 60's that created a Cinderella, letting the recipient of a letter know they had paid all or part of the postage, and asked to be reimbursed. I do not know anything about this Cinderella, except that it is religious and very early. Of course, it refers to the Golden Rule:

Matthew 7:12, Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Many thanks to Mr. John Denune for this informations.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, most cinderellas from this time period did not survive.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6191 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to ask where the scan came from.
Not quite sure what I am looking at.

I think I am seeing a space where a stamp once lay ?
Pillar Of The Community
1089 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this seal stuck on the inner cover of an old diary from the year 1868. I scanned the entire page, and than cropped only the place with stamp.

If you would like to see, I can upload a scan of the entire page...
Edited by filipo - 01/12/2011 6:17 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33652 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes please filipo,
looks like a partly bleached original stamp, opt.
Pillar Of The Community
1089 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is...

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After some research, I think I found the source of that cinderella, which is highlighted in the attached ad that was one of several sayings available from a Chicago publisher, Sewell & Miller:

Interestingly I found this buried within a series of articles in a magazine called "The Little Corporal: Fighting Against Wrong; and for the Good, the True, and the Beautiful" dated August 1870.
Pillar Of The Community
1089 Posts
Posted 01/13/2011   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great job done, Wt1! Thanks!

So, it seems that "Evangelical Press Association", and not the "Golden Rule Society", issued these cinderellas
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33652 Posts
Posted 01/13/2011   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Great Diary Filipo! Love it.

..and an extraordiary piece of research wt1, absolutely amazing.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/13/2011   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all. Since posting my research, I discovered that the publisher of the advertised stamps was the same firm that published the magazine, too.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33652 Posts
Posted 01/13/2011   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not remotely connected,
but perhaps fitting of an aged 1868 diary,

A table, showing the length of the day at var latitudes.

Written in his own hand, by one Christopher Colombus.
(columbian library of seville)

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,812Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05