Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Reich Stamp 1919 - Colour

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,486Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wadmalatz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody! I am a new member here, but the following question bothers me for about half a year. I have a few stamp catalogue from several periods, the latest from 2005, but in none of them found anything about this variety: a Reich stamp, from 1919, 25 PF, but it's not green as should be, it's blue (the 30 Pf stamp has 3 mentioned colour variety!). The cancellation on the stamp seems to be all right: Floha (I found out, that this town still exists), the date (1919, after 1 July, the first day). On the other hand the stamp has little value, so no reason to falsify it(?).If decoloured (due to water or light), why only the green colour and the red not? (and it is not mentioned in the catalogues, that this stamp is sensible to warm water or light). Please take a look at this picture, and if you have seen or also have a blue 25 Pf. stamp please signal it.
Thanks!
Wadmalatz

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2053 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'why only the green colour and the red not?'

Well, green is a mixture of blue and yellow, so some processes turn green to blue but they don't affect other colours, such as red. Green inks are notoriously unstable.

That said, your stamp doesn't look to me like it's what we call a 'colour changeling.' It looks more like a colour error, which could make it quite valuable.

I think you need to take it to an expert!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2053 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'the stamp has little value, so no reason to falsify it(?).'

Well, many Germans were very, very poor in 1919 and no doubt people were trying to 'clean' the postmarks off stamps so they could re-use them. If your stamp is a colour changeling, then this is probably how it happened.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The pmk looks a little "washed"
Some scallywag has been playing with a chemical?

Mr Balboa was feeling a little blue on this one.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33623 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Great Britain SG213 1900 queen vic halfpenny blue/green
When existing in bright blue is a "colour changeling"
see your catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Indeed!! Good point. Now the postmark (and the green colour)gives me too a headache, and makes me more suspicious. That's why I like to ask, before spending eventually money on expertize. But who knows, maybe there is somebody else who has another blue 25 pf.
No SG, only Mi and Y&T from the 70`-`80's plus few Spec. (Germany,Austria, Hungary, Nederland).
Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05