Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany 1923 - 1 Million Mark With Printing Error

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 21,172Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2036 Posts
Posted 01/22/2011   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm told that sometimes stamps from this period with errors like this can sell for several hundred Euros. I wonder if this one would! I guess it depends on whether it's a catalogued error.

Anyway, take a look at the missing top of the '1':

Detail:

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 01/22/2011   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't remember seeing this one before Jimjam, neither the actual stamp nor a picture. A clearer scan of the affected areas would be nice, although the difference does not appear to be caused by damage. The top of the 'M' of Million is missing too. The second I of Million also looks a bit interesting. This is not a stamp I'd be throwing into a 10 cent bin. As to its value, no idea.

The post below may be useful to you. Some common printing errors are displayed and some references given to pages which comment on varieties.

http://goscf.com/t/9956
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2036 Posts
Posted 01/22/2011   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
peterthio, I'm sorry I can't do clearer scans! I actually scan my stamps at 960 dpi. but it doesn't seem to be doing me any good. Either the scanner is simply not up to it or I'm doing something wrong!

Anyway, I'm sure the stamp is not damaged - the top of the '1' dissolves seamlessly into the design. And thanks for drawing my attention to other features I have overlooked. I'll check them now.
Edited by jimjamtwo - 01/23/2011 04:26 am
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 01/22/2011   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its a shame you don't live a bit closer Jimjam, I'd invite you over to use the scanner. I do recall reading somewhere of an error where a '1' (one) is in place of an 'l' (ell). Don't remember where nor if it is in relation to this stamp. Just looked but couldn't find it on Google.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 01/23/2011   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong on this but I think it might just be an example of poor inking. Also, if this can be found again on another stamp in the same way, then we can also assume that it is a minor plate variety (?)

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
Canada
36 Posts
Posted 12/25/2017   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charming to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

May someone can look up if someone Will be interested by this Germany 1'000'000 M Deustches Reich
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4901 Posts
Posted 12/25/2017   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charming ---They have no value ,they sell for less than 1 cent each .
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
638 Posts
Posted 12/26/2017   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Charming, as Floortrader mentioned these have almost no value, unless actually used ones and even then not always.

This design of stamps has a few interesting plate flaws. These can be an addition to your collection.

The most prominent being the little break in the waves of the inner circle, left of the value. In a sheet 4 positions have this flaw, so it is one you can find. Most you will find are unused. Used examples are far more difficult to find(Believe me I know)

Example

Valued Member
174 Posts
Posted 12/26/2017   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

You can divid a mint sheet in 4 quadrant of 25 stamps and you will find the same varieties.

Little drawing, and varieties found on each quadrant.

Best regards

Hornet

Edited by hornet785 - 12/26/2017 12:48 pm
Valued Member
174 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Just to add some details

These will be found on the new currency (Rentenmark) issue on 01.12.1923

Last edition using the design.

Like this PE 1 on a 3 Pfennig in 1924

Hornet

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2036 Posts
Posted 01/04/2018   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the chart, hornet785.
Valued Member
Canada
36 Posts
Posted 01/07/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charming to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, so I have a good one because is no some error on my stamp. I know that I have this stamp since 1980'
Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dynamode to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hornet785 thanks for the chart. Very useful.

Johan Buvelot. After reading, I checked my scans and found this used 1 million with broken waves left.

Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 01/28/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add john62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's an example of a 3 strip with just the center stamp with the broken lines

Valued Member
174 Posts
Posted 01/28/2019   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

And the PP3 on top of it.

Salutations

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4901 Posts
Posted 01/28/2019   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy full sheets of mint German Inflation sheets of 100 stamps for $1.00 each . You will run out of money before the stamp dealers run out of stamps.That is how many of those sheets are out there .

I can't remember a stamp auction in Chicago ,that is 4 auctions per year for 30 years that didn't have sheets in the bulk lot section of the auction .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 21,172Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05