Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1933 Century Of Progress

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 05/12/2008   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobgggg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this cover, considered a First Day Cover? I checked my Scotts, and it states that the stamp was issued on Sept. 27, 1933

Thanks

Send note to Staff
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste

Valued Member
USA
304 Posts
Posted 05/12/2008   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add meostamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, per my Scott 2001 US Specialize and Scott 2008 Classic, both list the issue date as May 25, 1933 for the perf version. The imperf version was issued Aug 25, 1933. Therefore, your cover would be an event cover, postmarked on the opening day of the Expo. Mike in NYC / meostamps
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 05/12/2008   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mike
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an unusual Century of Progress cancel. The cachet on this cover is nearly totally faded, but it relates to the USS Akron blimp, which doesn't seem to tie-in with the cancel. Anyone know more about the Rwy. Postal Car Exhibit at the Fair?

Learn More...
6935 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   03:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I believe that this cancel marked the terminal stop of the Burlington Zephyr on its nonstop trip (Denver to Chicago) to the Century of Progress Exposition. It also was used during the Exposition to make philatelic souvenirs during the event.

Perhaps some of our postal historians can verify if this is correct.
Don
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 05/08/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like that train photo postcard Don.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that info, Don. So my 1933 cover was the first year of the fair, before the Zephyr arrived in 1934.
Learn More...
6935 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   04:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,
I am unsure of the full scope of usage at the Exposition, hopefully someone will weigh in who has deeper knowledge then me.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since some of you like the Zephyr, here's a great piece of philatelic history.

Take a look not just at the card, but who it is sent to and who it is from...

This is also cacheted as being the first run of the Zephyr.

Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 05/10/2019   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg. The USS Akron was not a blimp, it was a dirigible with a rigid duralumin airframe (a Zeppelin). Sadly it had crashed before the Century of Progress fair opened - it went down on April 4, 1933 and your cachet is memorializing its loss. There were two blimps at the Fair, the Pilgrim and the Reliance and both were used to give paying passengers a short in the air above the fair. Blimps do not have an internal rigid framework - they hold their shape by the internal inflation pressure with helium gas. There was an even more famous Zeppelin at the fair, though it only landed for two hours at a nearby airfield - it was the famous German airship, the Graf Zeppelin that was passing by in October of 1933. It picked up a load of first flight covers at the fair dated October 28, 1933, most of which weres stamped with the special US 50 cent zeppelin stamp, C-18 that was issued on October 2 for the Graf's "Century of Progress Flight".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
Posted 05/11/2019   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of those covers Kimo was referring to.

The signatures on the cover are the German flight crew for the Graf Zeppelin.

The October 28 date was for the mail leaving the Century of Progress. This cover was properly dated Oct 25 when the Zeppelin left Akron. It is dated on the reverse with the Oct 26 date when it entered the normal mails and was sent to the addressee in Chicago.
Learn More...
6935 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   04:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Anyone know more about the Rwy. Postal Car Exhibit at the Fair?...

I am still searching for a an image of the Postal Car Exhibit. I do own this postcard, it show the Burlington RPO and was a part of the railroad section of the Fair.

Here is another card which shows the railroad section of the fair, but was the postal car exhibit located here? I suspect it was as shown here

The railroad section of the Fair was located here

But the remaining question is were cancels being applied at the Postal Car Exhibit or were they applied at the special fair Philatelic Agency building?

The Century of Progress commemorative stamps were first issued a few days before the official fair opening (sold starting May 25, 1933 at the main post office at Chicago, Ill.). The Fair and Philatelic Agency officially opened on May 27.

An interesting "Fair fact", shortly after opening (between June to November) there was an outbreak of amoebic dysentery at the Fair. Over 1000 cases were reported and almost 100 people actually died. A guy named Joel Connolly, who worked for the Chicago Bureau of Sanitary Engineering, finally resolved the problem and ended the outbreak.

He overcovered 'defective plumbing' that was permitting sewage to contaminate the drinking water in two hotels. Yikes!
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05