Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Norway Vintage Posthorns - Colour Variations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've found two interesting colour variations among the Norwegian posthorns issued in 1886/93. The first one is the 5 ore grey green, but to the naked eye my copy looks absolutely grey. Is there a grey listed variety for this stamp?

There is also a 10 ore red, but this one has a very intense colour and is more scarlet:

All assistance greatly appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2751 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jimjamtwo,

Do you have any more copies of the 5ore to compare this one with? This colour looks ok to me

Only stamps from the first plate were issued in time for the 1886 postmark and that plate only has the one shade, grey-green, listed in either Norgeskatalogen or Facit.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I want that 10 ore. Kristiania was the first tram established in Oslo in 1874, Looks like you might have a tram stamp.

I think my biorhythm was low when I posted this.
Edited by smauggie - 02/10/2011 9:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(1) nigelc, the scan makes the stamp look slightly greenish. I don't know why. To the naked eye, it's absolutely grey and not the least bit green. You'd be very surprised if you were looking at it and someone told you it was 'grey green.'

I find scans often make significant changes to a stamp's colour. This is annoying, but I don't know what can be done about it. (This makes me wonder whether scanners are meant to be calibrated somehow.)

(2) smauggie, what's a tram stamp???
Edited by jimjamtwo - 02/08/2011 8:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2631 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a Bypost cancel (Byp) on the first stamp?

Smauggie: I know that is a "bridge" type cancel on the second stamp, but how can you identify it as a tram postmark?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is, Battlestamps. Not that I actually know what that means!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know what can be done about it.

You can go to a photography shop and pick up an "18% gray" card, used to calibrate color, and include it on the scanner bed when color is important.

If you cut it exactly 2cm long, you can do a little algebra with your scans to count perfs.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd, thanks for the tip.

This sounds easy as pie - I thought I would have to jig around with the scanner settings to fix the problem.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2631 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   10:24 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, Bypost was a form of local or private mail that was used in Norway and a few other countries like Denmark. A few of the private carriers even had their own stamps, but most were gone by the 1910's.
Will
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 02/09/2011   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kristiania was just the old name for Oslo. It wouldn't be known as Oslo for another 30 or so years. Is there something about the cancel that suggests it is special?
Valued Member
Canada
16 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add machin1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
395 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
this is the olive"ish" grey green shade, quite normal.

the cancel is most likely a CHRA BYP one ring cancel. it's not that common on this issue.

a guess would be that the cancel is used on letters with local rate postage within Christinia
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 04/17/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I tried Stampsmarter's Shade Analysis. Nice breakdown of my stamp's colors. But do the associated color codes have names, or just numbers? Couldn't find any correlation of codes and color names during my quick look through the site.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of reading on the site reveals that Shade Analysis uses HTML Color Codes. Searching online sent me to https://www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm where you can see charts that provide names for all HTML color codes. If your code isn't listed, try clicking on the "HTML Color Picker" in the Tip at the top of the chart. You'll get to a site that allows you to type in your color code and get, if not a name, at least an image of the color via the associated YUI Color picker. You can use this function to compare two codes/colors as well.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05