Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sweden - What Is Scott 144?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read in an old issue of The Posthorn, a newsletter devoted to Scandinavian philately, that one of the great rarities of Swedish stamps is Scott# 144, which is described as 1921 King Gustav 20 ore.

However, the illustration provided in the newsletter does not seem to be the right stamp. Despite considerable googling, I still haven't been able to work out which stamp was being referred to. (Perhaps the Scott numbers have changed since the newsletter was written.)

In any case, it must be very rare because I can't find an instance of anybody actually selling it!

Can anyone help?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my old (1960) Scott, King Gustavus 20 ore came 3 types:
Perf 10 vert coil unwatermarked (Scott 141)
Perf 10 (sheet) Unwatermarked (Scott 143)
Perf 10 (sheet) Wmk 181 wavy lines (Scott 144) Scott only priced mint at $300.00 in 1960.
Sorry no current info.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Russ!

I think at the time (1944) only 8 examples of this stamp were known.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that several stamps from Sweden were printed on both watermarked and unwatermarked paper. I don't know if this was an error or just very low production on watermarked paper. If only 8 were known I would thick error.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jimjam, Less than 20 known Scott $4000 for mint hindged. Facit 151CX (unpriced).
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1951 Posts
Posted 02/08/2011   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russ, thanks for the catalogue number. This allowed me to locate the following sale of the item:

Sweden, 144, 1920/21 20o Blue watermarked, perforated four sides, full original Post Office Fresh Gum and NH, centered to top as are all examples of this great rarity and Very Fine for the issue, less than 20 examples exist of this rarity and only a handful are known in never hinged condition as is this wonderful example; 1989 & 2005 Norsten photo Certificates, (Scott $4,000 for hinged; Facit 151Cx, unpriced) [** ]

Asking price is $5000.

http://www.stampcircuit.com/Active_...t_print=2050
United States
4 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ashlen86 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of these. It's not perferated on either top or bottom and it's centered bottom right instead anyone know what I'm looking at with this?
Pillar Of The Community
France
535 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is probably Scott#141 and unfortunately is very common
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4257 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the stamp being discussed ,mine has no watermark .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05