Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Got Any Pan American Expo Covers Or Pan Am Stamps On Cover?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 06/24/2008   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info T360 I will check it out.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 07/05/2008   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This transatlantic cover is a bit faulty with some wear and tear around the edges (like me)!
Still it is impressive since it has four Pan Am issues on it including the elusive 8 cent!

The registered letter fee was eight cents in 1901, and the letter fee to Germany was
five cents, so a total of thirteen cents was paid on this cover with one 8c, the
two 2c and one 1c Pan American stamps.

The eight cent stamp shows the canal locks at Sault de Ste. Marie. The locks were a
spectacular engineering feat at the time. They stimulated economic growth in the
Midwest by providing navigational links for shipping between Lake Superior and
Lake Huron, and thus established a trade route to the rest of the Great Lakes and
to the Atlantic Ocean.

Valued Member
Australia
332 Posts
Posted 07/13/2008   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bandicoot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A fantastic read T360, thank you for posting these.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 08/18/2008   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A buffalo in a top hat and tails, welcoming you to the Pan American Exposition!

(an advertising cover from the Larkin Soap Co.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 08/19/2008   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
t360

Great cover and piece of history !
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 08/30/2008   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rick!

This cover has a pair of the 1c Pan Ams on a cover from the Queens Hotel in Montreal.
The cachet features a globe showing the extent of the British Empire in 1901.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 08/30/2008   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover T-360

Athol Mass. I wonder if the person who named that town,
had a lisp ?
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 08/31/2008   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The crowd roars:

What about the 10c Pan Am?

Pictured on the ten cent stamp is the American Liner steamship, St. Paul, the first
commercial ship to be commissioned as a warship during the Spanish-American War.

I have just a couple of covers with the beloved 10c Fast Ocean Navigation stamp.
This one shows the 10c stamp paying the domestic 2c letter rate plus the 8c registry fee.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 09/01/2008   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an interesting gold colored souvenir coin from the Pan American Exposition in a mixed box of old medals at a dealers table at the Coin and Stamp Show in Dedham, Mass.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 09/01/2008   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlorenz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T360

Great cover and coin, They are also great pieces of history, however do you find all of these I am impressed
rick l
APS# 214326, I.S.G.C.# 979
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 09/02/2008   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rlorenz! I enjoy looking online in the evenings after work. But lately I have been working in the evenings too.
I had a backlog of items on my desk that needed mounting and the Labor Day weekend gave me some time to go through it.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 10/19/2008   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an unused hotel stationary envelope, advertising the Pan Am Exposition, with a nice engraving
of the bustling Elmwood Hotel in the era just before the advent of the horseless carriage.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 11/13/2008   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover with the 10c Pan Am stamp has traveled around and it shows. It was posted at sea and forwarded to Wai, India.

Remarkably this cover is addressed to the same doctor as the one I posted at the beginning of the thread!

(I bought them at different times from two different dealers)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3738 Posts
Posted 11/13/2008   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Buffalo cover is beautiful Tom

Bobg

I have the canadian version of that stamp. It's one of my favorites.

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1656 Posts
Posted 11/28/2008   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom impressive covers mate they make a covernut like myself drool oh (off topic) sorry I haven't been a round as I've been posting VAM's that I have and couldn't work out what they were regards Harry
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05