Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

South Africa 1942-44 War Effort Bantams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1989 Posts
Posted 02/20/2011   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering if anyone knows much about the South African war effort bantams of 1942-44. These stamps were in the usual South African bilingual pairs, except that the pairs were divided by rouletting rather than perforations.

Here are two mint examples (both items currently being auctioned on eBay) in which you can clearly see what I'm talking about:

The Gibbons Commonwealth catalogue gives surprisingly high CV to pairs without the roulette.

I find myself in a bit of a dilemma, because I have one pair that is semi-rouletted, so to speak (just three indentations), and two pairs that have no identations at all, but in which there are some small spots which suggest that something happened in that area of the stamp without leaving the indentations. Technically, I would say that these pairs are not rouletted, although they also do not have the completely clean appearance of, say, imperforate stamps.

Would these stamps fall into the category 'Roulette omitted'? If anyone knows anything about this issue I'd like to hear from you.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jimjamtwo - 02/20/2011 07:45 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27575 Posts
Posted 02/20/2011   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing sways an argument better than an image.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1989 Posts
Posted 02/20/2011   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this case, only two cuts can be seen from the front:

And from the back:

But I guess this makes this pair defectively rouletted rather than 'roulette omitted.'
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1989 Posts
Posted 02/20/2011   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, with these stamps, the rouletting can normally be seen very clearly on the reverse. Example:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27575 Posts
Posted 02/20/2011   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not aware of just how they rouletted these,
I presume it would have been blade punched,
given the condition at the end of the war,
should a couple of rouletting blades have been damaged
it may be an occurrence to disregard a few missed punctures
until a later time. "defectively rouletted" would be
an ideal description I should think.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
658 Posts
Posted 02/21/2011   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampStudy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jimjam,

here is an example of the roulette omitted :

For them to be the high cat stamps the roulette needs to be completely omitted. An interesting pair though, I will see if I can find more info on partial roulettes.

Drew

There is a footnote in my SACC saying that misperforations exist on all values.
Edited by StampStudy - 02/21/2011 02:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1989 Posts
Posted 02/21/2011   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampStudy, I suspected that would be the case.

Really, I just wanted an ecuse to talk about these very interesting stampsand show off my 'nearly' unrouletted examples!

Does anyone know of other cases of perforated AND rouletted stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
658 Posts
Posted 02/21/2011   04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampStudy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are a wonderful set. South West Africa has an identical set with the SWA overprint. I have seen whole collections of just this set - Colour Variations, Constant Errors, Slogan blocks, Arrow Blocks.

I know of only one other case of perforated and rouletted stamps - also South Africa, 1943 Postage dues. Set of 4. All these are triplets similar to the 1d value of the war effort bantams.

Drew
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05