Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Packets Of Yesteryear.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 9,309Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2019 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh...yes. These are the kind of packets I started on when I was probably around 6-8 years old or so. Saw them in a Ben Franklin craft store and the first packet I bought was probably a quarter or 50 cents. I was hooked immediately. To this day, even though today I consider myself to be a quote-unquote "serious" collector, my favorite thing to do is go through a packet of cheap stamps. I feel like a kid at Christmas every time a new packet arrives in the mail.

Placing packets like this in more stores would be a good way to promote the hobby, I think. When I bought that first packet, I wasn't even aware that people collected stamps; these packets were my first introduction to collecting. Eventually I bought more packets and sent off for offers and approvals advertised therein (and in comic books, etc) and the rest is history.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Family,

Great stuff. I love reminicing. Being from the Boston area, we had both HE Harris and Woolworths 5&10 with lunch counters! The 5&10 here in Ipswich, Mass (with the lunch counter) lasted until the early nineties. Miss it.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember stamps in Woolworth's, but there were plenty of companies that would send stamps on approval to kids. I found one a few months ago still attached to its approval sheet. Price: 17 cents. Rather expensive when you're on a twenty-five cent allowance. I looked it up in a current catalogue. Present price: $17.00.

Things have gone up.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6051 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the memories .......I remember going to downtown Providence R.I. to buy my first few H.E.Harris Honor-Bilt packets for ten cent each at Woolworths . That made me a serious collector and I could now hang with the older collectors. While the others kids were still buying the 100 stamps for 10 cents from the back of the BOY'S LIFE magazine.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36307 Posts
Posted 07/29/2022   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thread Bumped : Dormant 6 Years

Thematic Antarctica
Amongst South Africa Sc#220 1959 SANAE 3d
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being 53 and growing up in a very rural area (population 24), I didn't have the advantage of a Woolworth's.

However, I purchased such a packet from Boy's Life magazine when I was 8 or 9. With approvals of course, from H.E. Harris.

Those approvals built my early collection. I'd give mom the money and she'd write a check for them. What I found interesting was as a young kid, my allowance in the 70s/early 80s was very low so often mom was writing checks of $4/$5. Harris started sending less valuable selections. Clearly someone was paying attention to this kid's buying habits.
clay-morgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36307 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great Mom !
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$4-$5 for Boys Life approvals was big spending back in the day. Of course we got checks from our moms, how else would a kid be able to send money?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3953 Posts
Posted 08/12/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the early 70's an oz of gold was $30 au.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   05:29 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vintage LAURELBILT packets, made-up for the 1964 New York World's Fair. The sealed packet consists of commemoratives and definitives. I've got a whole bunch of them (still sealed) to go through...

I assume that the $3 sticker was added later.

John

Denmark front:

Scandinavia front:

Common back:
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   5:06 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got one of the orange bags from a friend and will put up some images. I had mentioned that I was still getting stamps to her and she goes to auctions, She procured the "collection" and sent it off to me. A whole lot of material and very much appreciated. If only I had unlimited time.

Edited by Chipshot - 08/13/2022 5:26 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36307 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
I have an 1950's advert for those somewhere.

I wonder if the bag ink is fugitive, or the stamp perfs are sometimes damaged.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   12:53 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The contents did have some damage as it appears to have been put in the bag by shovel. There were stamps, stamps on paper and just paper. Nothing remarkable that I have seen, but still worth going through on a rainy afternoon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8136 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My father used to send away for those orange "missionary bags", and surprise me with them. Thanks for showing it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8136 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were advertised in Stamps Magazine as "Mission Mixtures".
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 9,309Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05