Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hotel / Motel / Inn / Resort Covers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5640 Posts
Posted 11/13/2012   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Seelbach, Louisville KY. 1910

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2127 Posts
Posted 08/22/2015   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if I would open a letter from the "Hotel Hooker"!

The stamp has a small pre-printing paper crease.
Edited by John Becker - 08/22/2015 4:45 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/22/2015   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's how the "Hotel Hooker" got its name:

Quote:
Developed by Seth Chauncey Hooker, the hotel was considered among the state's finest lodgings when it opened in 1887, long before the owner's name became associated with the slang term for a prostitute. Soon after Mr. Hooker sold the property in 1909, the burgeoning use of automobiles and lack of parking at the site sent the hotel into a long period of decline. In recent decades, the property has operated as a residence hotel.

http://www.threadcity.com/articles/...ctober19.pdf
Edited by wt1 - 08/22/2015 6:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 08/24/2015   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampalotapus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All nice covers, it makes me want to start a collection of such myself.

Regards,
Stampalotapus
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2890 Posts
Posted 08/24/2015   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hotel Hooker? I think we've got a couple of franchises here locally.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2653 Posts
Posted 11/13/2016   6:36 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2653 Posts
Posted 11/13/2016   6:40 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This cover (actually it's only the "front") caught my eye in a dealer's $1 cover box recently. The neat handwriting hails from an era where penmanship and letter writing was a respected art form.

The Cataract Hotel in Assouan, Egypt was built in 1899, and is still operating, today it is the five-star Sofitel Legend Old Cataract.

I love that the hotel had their own circular postmark!

--Jim
stampguyaps177-681
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Bauer Hotel first opened in Venice in 1850, known as the Bauer-Greenwald this is a grand palatial two-building facility. In 2000 the third-generation owner Bennati family completed a two-year, $40 million renovation. The five-star hotel has an older, 18th Century "Il Palazzo" section and a 1940's Italian Modern section with large public areas, dining rooms and banquet facilities.

Unfortunately a 35 Lire stamp came off in its travels, as the postage rate was likely 240 Lire. 60 Lire for the inland rate up to 20 grams, and 180 treble airmail rate to USA for a letter up to 15 grams.

I like that it has several different stamps from the long set (workers I think) from around 1950.

--Jim
stampguyaps177-681
Edited by jimwentzell - 10/10/2017 3:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2245 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Olympic Club San Francisco.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I doubt I would stay at the Spiders Web Motel in Bushey, UK.

Forty two years later, I wonder how they are doing....I couldn't find any motel with this quirky name. A pub, sure, even a cafe.

For just one dollar, a great find. I really like unusual advertising and hotel covers!

--Jim
stampguyaps177-681

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1103 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my additions to the thread.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I couldn't find any information on Hotel Des Terrasses in Dinard-Ille et Vilaine (France). The destination was Kennebunkport, Maine USA and is a well-to-do seaside resort of its own.

But I really get a kick out of Victorian-era bathing suits....going swimming with what appears a full set of clothes must have been quite an experience in 1895!

--Jim
stampguyaps177-681
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2245 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more for the topic.

Edited by littleriverphil - 10/10/2017 5:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 10/10/2017   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The original Commodore Hotel (as this First Day Cover depicts it) opened in New York City in 1919, next to Grand Central Station.

You probably wouldn't recognize the hotel today; in 1977 Donald Trump purchased the run-down building when its railroad company owner went bankrupt.

The building was gutted down to its steel frame, but in places left the exterior bricks intact. Reflective glass windows completed the remodel and in 1980 the Grand Hyatt Hotel was open.

Note the iconic Chrysler Building rising from behind; it is one of the most recognized and beautiful skyscrapers in the world!

--Jim
stampguyaps177-681
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05