Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 2902? 5-Cent Butte Coil (Perf 9.8)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,509Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2011   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Who's good at detail?

Here are two stamps that based on the catalog look to be Scott #2902 (perf. 9.8) yet there are some color variations and the lettering looks to be slightly different between these two examples. Since they are both dated 1995, I assume they were issued at or around the same time. Were different printers involved? Are these different or the same?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 03/08/2011   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the right one looks washed out.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/08/2011   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is where my new modern US stamp filing system would come in handy . . . if it was at work with me.

I will scan some copies when I get home.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2011   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. In addition to the colors and text, special note should be made to the splash of blue above the line USA. In the location above the "S" and in the splash of blue above the "IT" in NON-PROFIT, there looks to be differences; likewise at the top right of the stamp the blue has a more ragged look on stamp #1 versus #2.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2480 Posts
Posted 03/10/2011   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2011 Scott Specialized indicates that J.W. Ferguson & Sons printed the #2902 (perf 9.8 vert.) for Stamp Venturers and that Stamp Venturers printed the #2902B (self-adhesive serpintine die cut 11.5 vert). The stamps were printed using photogravure and the below description, taken from the Errors, Freaks, & Oddities Collectors' Club website, offers an explanation for the color variation.

Quote:
56. Color variations: Stamp designs used over long periods of time often can be found with differing shade varieties of their basic colors. The properties of the ink components can change, as can the quality and properties of the paper purchased by the printer. Those factors can affect the printed colors. New printing equipment, using the same plates and ink, also can result in shade and color-intensity differences. Unless pronounced, these shades are relegated to minor status and, though avidly collected by many, have little additional value.

The advent of photogravure printing in the late 1960s brought a whole new class of color varieties. Gravure is based on the sequential printing of four basic colors in carefully planned dot patterns, one on top of the other, to produce the impression to the human eye of every color of the rainbow. It produces much more colorful stamps. But it also causes collectors to notice shade differences more than ever before because a small difference in the inking of one color plate often has a dynamic effect on the final colors produced. Expertizers frequently see photogravure stamps submitted as missing-color candidates, when they are only a light print of one of the four basic colors. Thus, there is a range of normal for most photogravure stamps, and a stamp has extra value only if it falls outside that range.

Source: https://ssl.perfora.net/efocc.org/R..._Type056.php

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 03/10/2011   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are mine

2902B

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gierhead to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just ran across the same two Scott #2902 stamps in my PNC collection. I was going to post these two and pose the same question as started in 2011. But luckily, I found this thread before repeating the same post only 8 years later.

NOTE that the dark blue is on the S111 PNC stamp. My S222 PNC stamps are the same shade. All of my S333 PNC stamps are the lighter blue ( almost a purple ). This probably proves the theory about color change over time. I hope someone finds this informative besides me. In the meanwhile, I will file these stamps away and try to forget that I thought I had something special.

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As pointed out the color on these varies quite a bit. Here are some more examples.

You can see the color of the date can also vary.

Hans Van Gils a Netherlands collector of US stamps has some amazing checklists for modern US definitives. In his American Scenes Issues checklist he shows these two colors.

The link to these checklists is http://www.usca.nl/usa-canada-2/usa...tive-issues/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05