Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Telegraph Insulators On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 20,147Next Topic
Page: of 16
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These pylons for example, look high but maybe not very high... simplified lattice tower depiction is very stylish, and insulators are drawn clearly

Switzerland
1 August 1949 / design & engrave: Karl Bickel

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/21/2022 08:24 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomoko,
certainly start a new thread on Pylons (Transmission Towers) on stamps
or whatever you deem fitting for the title.

What is a Pylon?
https://www.nationalgrid.com/storie...t-is-a-pylon

You may wish to rent / buy a DVD I would highly recommend
"Woman at War"

PS: Lovely Swedish stamp with the Pylon
U2v3_jHrvBQ

Edited by rod222 - 05/21/2022 2:44 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   04:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just a FYI for Aussies.

"Woman at war" is free to air tonight, on World Movies SBS 1800 hrs

Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Woman at War"

The opening of trailer shot is beautiful (and I stopped to view further as I am willing to watch the full film shortly!). I subscribe MUBI and it seems on its distribute. Concerning about environmental issue - yes pylons are a kind of symbols of aggressive industry, isn't it. Also by scenic point of view, this might be a mess for some people...?

Austria
28 June 1972
Lienz-Pelos Pylon Line / design: O. Zeiller, engrave: R. Toth

Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/23/2022 08:04 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
es pylons are a kind of symbols of aggressive industry, isn't it.

Hi Tomoko,
I do not see it as that, they have brought untold benefits to us as a species,
in the past, but times are rapidly changing, and we now need to adapt / reassess.

Our new Prime minister, is a few days old, and a fabulous illustration of a vibrant democracy, we kicked out the previous pretender, who had the temerity to call us West Australians "Cave people"

Once again, I have become a proud Australian, where democracy
have provided a change for the better, driven in a large part by the female vote
Climate change (hopefully) will now have a strong voice in our future decisions.

Our new Prime minister is now in Tokyo as we speak.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
we now need to adapt / reassess

I would agree with you totally, Rod.

A re-direction towards less hight and footprint version of tower "T-pylon" was mentioned in the article in "what is pylon". I think there are tendencies for "less aggressive" and very interesting style to move ahead, but somehow less attractive for me. They are not build in real yet, but when they appear on the ground, I have to go and see, to analyse what elements of conventional/historical pylon appeals to me...

Your new prime minister - I have read about him - only yesterday he started! I read the history of prime ministers in Australia and learnt that Labour politicians formed a government as early as 1904. Still a lot to learn about the world!!!
Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/24/2022 06:14 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When still the pylon, electric lines, cogwheel and smoking chimneys were the forefront of a country, everywhere in the world... or already at a turning era elsewhere, maybe?

Egypt

Quote:
they have brought untold benefits to us as a species

That is really true - we could never talked over SC forum without the history of pylons and insulators, and with our current wired environment...
Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/24/2022 06:33 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions, Tomoko,
I am surprised you still find them.

I have just catalogued 250 Russian "swaps"
there may be a couple of new ones there,
I'll have to check the previous posts first.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spy, with my little eye,
Telegraph Insulators on cover ......1904
http://goscf.com/t/81024#738321 br /
Edited by rod222 - 05/24/2022 5:58 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/25/2022   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Telegraph Insulators on cover ......1904
http://goscf.com/t/81024#738321 br /

Nice one!! That could be the earliest philatelyic material on insulator.

Quote:
I am surprised you still find them.

Oh, - I have 7 more in my iPhoto album waiting, one is in the "take photo" box (arrived yesterday!!) and a few more sets on my watch list... going on for a while

France
23 May 1959 / Marcoule Atomic Power Station / design & engrave: Jacques Combet

Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/25/2022 09:17 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/25/2022   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Current Status of all Stamps shown Thus Far
Excluding covers etc.

Russia
Sc#585 1936 3 Kopek Pioneers fronting vandals.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great... thank you Rod for the collection of all shown on this thread. This is a rare treat! and I would follow the manner when I start a new topic.

And the Russian insulator from as early as 1936! Lovely one, and it shows that vandals were already then. I can't wait to watch the film Woman at War, which is coming soon on MUBI.

Here is another from Nordic area, I believe that those simplified bars hang from lattice arms are insulators

Sweden
20 January 1959 / 50th Anniversary of Swedish State Power Board / design: L. Gram, engrave: A. Wallhorn

Edited by tomonakaazu - 05/26/2022 06:25 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found a wonderful musing, that transfers to Philately.

"Do you collect for the cash value ?
Or the value of experience it brings to your life"

We need to see some of Tomoko's beautiful collection

J6Nh-kl41ow
Edited by rod222 - 05/26/2022 11:43 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   05:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
German Occupation Stamps
Wurttemberg
Sc# 8N12 1947 84pf Lichtenstein Castle.
Edited by rod222 - 05/27/2022 05:41 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Telegraph / Electricity Pylons
How we pay for them

As Australians digested the news this week that benchmark electricity prices are set to rise by as much as 18 per cent, Bruce Mountain had a worrying thought.
While the headline numbers looked bad, he reckoned the reality was likely to be far worse.
"It's quite possibly disastrous for customers," Mr Mountain said.
"It really is a tough issue now for governments and there is no magic wand here."

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 20,147Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05